[argyllcms] Re: "Development in progress" update

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:20:30 +1000

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

Hmm. Some people have commented to me that they think that Adobe RGB has a
ridiculous green
too. One story I've heard is that Adobe RGB was an accident, a cut and paste
error when someone
tried to create a Rec. 709 set of primaries starting with the old NTSC 1953,
and forgot to edit
the green. Rather than change the colorspace, Adobe just re-christened it. Hard
to know if that
is really what happened, although the numbers match the story.

But if it would use the Rec.709 primaries, what would be the significant
difference to sRGB? Then
it would not be a color space with a wider gamut than sRGB.

The whole point of the story was to suppose that AdobeRGB was an accident, and that what ended up being called AdobeRGB started out being called something else (like "Rec. 709 RGB" or some other space that uses Rec. 709 primaries), but that after a mistake in setting the Green coordinate, it got renamed in case anyone had created work that used it, and that it was only well after all this that it was seized upon as a "wide gamut" space. sRGB came out about the same time or slightly afterwards I think (the sRGB profile I have a copy of is dated 1998), so this story probably pre-dates sRGB. Now, it's just a story, so don't assume there's any particular truth in it, but if you sat down to create a wide gamut RGB space, would you really create one that has a green primary not representable in ICC Lab, and not adjust the red and the blue a bit as well ?

Btw, is a colorant table tag really necessary for RGB, CMYK, etc.? IMHO it's
> only mandatory in conjunction with xCLR color spaces. Is it actuall
> specified which names and which spelling to use
in case of standard spaces like RGB, CMYK, ...? ("Red"? or "red"? or "RED"?)

It's not mandatory no, but it's the only ICC sanctioned mechanism for recording the colorant names. No, there's no standardization of the names unfortunately, although the colorant PCS values can help identify the colors. One of the problem I constantly have that the colorant tag helps solve, is knowing whether a monochrome profile is additive or subtractive space ("Black" or "White" colorant). The ICC colorspace tag doesn't distinguish, which is very painful at times.