[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki Smile

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:22:21 +0100

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>> The new ColorMunki Smile looks like a Eye-One Display. Just out of
>> curiousity I'm wondering if the device has the same USB ID as earlier
>> devices?
>
> Hi Pascal,
>         I got one a little while ago and added support in
> the development code.

Cool. Any ballpark figure when you might be doing the next release?

> It's got it's own USB PID and unlock code,

urh... "unlock code"? this is just a static device startup code? or
does it require user registration at X-Rite?

> and
> seems to be i1display like in most ways, including the communication
> protocol and calibration information. (I was a little surprised
> at that - I thought that maybe it would be i1d3 like, but without
> the optics).

Well it's much cheaper, near the Huey... so re-using an existing
design and production facility seems like a good way to cut costs :)

And I'm guessing it'll knock the socks of a Huey any day :)

> It seems to use the internal name "ColorMunki Display Lite".
> It doesn't have a CRT mode, just two LCD modes: "LCD with CCFL backlight",
> and "LCD with White LED backlight".

Oh ok, I guess that makes more sense for these times? But there are in
fact just internal CCMXes right?

> I'd hope that they have improved the filters a bit (along the lines
> of the i1d3), so that it works better with wide gamut displays, but
> I have no real way of figuring out if that is the case or not.

Right... Well wasn't the original i1display re-badged along with wide
gamut displays like the HP DreamColor and LaCie BlueEye? Assume with a
custom display specific CCMX I guess?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn