[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki Photo and Canon Selphy CP-400

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:55:17 +0400

Preliminary profiling helps the targen to take real device response in account.
Preliminary profile can't limit target gamut, it only shows target gamut on
real device not the gamut on generic printer. There is no aims to limit gamut.
There is other aims.
If device response is known, targen able to place test points in whole gamut
volume more effectively. For example, if device is prone to dark tones, without
preliminary profile, targen will place the patches uniformly in device space.
As a result the target will characterize the darks better than the lights. In
some cases with non-linearized devices with dense printing, the result without
the preliminary porofile is unacceptable. If there is correct preliminary
profile, targen places more light patches and less dark ones, so resulting
target will characterize the darks and lights both the best way.
Another aim of preliminary profile is robust chart recognition. The predicted
colors in ti1 file will be much more exact. Exact colors helps the printtarg
place the patches on the target while chart generation, helps the chertread
recognize the patches and the strips while reading. The strip reading of the
chart may be unreliable or even impossible without preliminary profile for
non-linearized device.

Fri, 20 May 2011 11:43:00 +0200 письмо от "Stefan - ooge.com" <stefan@xxxxxxxx>:

as far as i understand you limit the color space boundaries and have
more "space" for needed colors.
results in smaller targets with same quality of resulting profile.

but i haven't big experience with that. may you can try out and share
your results :)

best,
Stefan