[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating N-Vidia Dual Display

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:09:29 -0800

On Thursday 10 December 2009 08:02:46 am Graeme Gill wrote:
> Kyle Brandt wrote:
> > I am wondering are there any workarounds for calibrating both monitors?
> > For instance, can I disable one of the monitors, restart X, calibrate
> > that one, and then disable that one, restart X, and then calibrate the
> > other one. Then, enable both, and they will both be calibrated, or does
> > it not work like that?
>
> Hi,
>       no it doesn't work that way, because access is needed to
> the VideoLUTs to install the calibration curves every time
> the system starts.
>
> The best you can do is calibrate and profile your primary display,
> and just profile your secondary display. If you are running
> color aware applications then the color should be managed
> correctly on your secondary display, although you will be unable
> to change things like it's white point, brightness etc. using
> calibration on that display.
>
> Graeme Gill.

The other option is to ditch TwinView and revert to xinerama.  This is what I
do and I can calibrate both monitors without any issues.  As far as I can tell
the only things you lose is the ability to change screen resolution at run
time and the ability to rotate screens.  OpenGL works fine on both of my
displays.

Hal