[argyllcms] Re: Argyllcms 1.6.0 and DTP94 instrument access failed

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 12:26:41 +1000

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

> Argyll and dispcalgui seem to be running perfectly so far on Windows 7 64
> bit. Can stop
> calibration multiple times and I don't get that error about the instrument
> access.

Yes, it's a bug that affects OS X/Linux. MSWin escaped because it uses a
different
delay function.

> I think it would be nice to place even a link or general directions on where
> to find
> old versions, if there is any kind of versioning system in place, etc.

It complicates release to track these sorts of things. Complex release process
== reluctance to do a release == longer between fixes. Bad release == lots of
support
when stuff doesn't work.

> 1. Are profiles OS / driver specific? Will my windows 7 profiles be valid
> under linux?

In general, profiles are platform independent if the same hardware is being
used,
and the same values make their way to the hardware. There could be problems if
different OS's change the latter. It should be fine for display profiles.
Print profiles using different printer drivers are likely to be more
problematic.

> 2. When doing a LUT profile in dispcalgui there is a drop down box for what I
> assume is
> the table size, defaults to 33x33x33 however you can go bigger. Besides file
> size is
> there any down side to selecting bigger, I assume compatibility would be
> affected? But
> also would think that banding would be less? Sorry if these are novice
> questions, just
> getting into color management.

It's always hard to say, because it depends on the exact situation.
Bigger = slower to build and slower to use.
Sometimes finer details reveals more artifacts.

My general advice is to use the smallest table size that gives you
acceptable accuracy, and to only move to a bigger table size if
you have proven that it improves the result.

> 2b. Single curve versus separate color curves as well for compatibility?

Some SW seems to demand single curves in matrix profiles. I don't know
exactly what that is, apart from the display profiles for my rather old copy
of Photoshop.