[apt4ssx8] Re: update

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:31:21 -0400

On 6/9/2012 3:42 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Kent A. Reed wrote:

IBM manual N/C 360 APT Application Description (H20-0181-1)

would be a jewel in the crown---or not, you never know 'til you see it. Keep your fingers crossed.

IBM manuals were VERY good, back in the 360 days!

Jon

Jon:

I agree entirely but even then, especially with applications rather than systems software, there was sometimes a tendency to break up the documentation into overviews and details. I'm hoping APT was sufficiently arcane and low volume in sales that they didn't do that.

Good or bad, I still have to find a copy.

When I moved from Chicago to Gaithersburg in 1981 I chucked out whole bookcases-worth of IBM documentation. NBS was running a Honeywell 1108 at the time (a bit behind the curve!) and soon moved to CDC systems. By the time the CDC Cyber-NOS documentation arrived I was up to my elbows in micros and networked workstations and no longer cared about the mainframes.

A funny story about the University of Chicago buying its first S/360. The accounting department had a massive but crufty old 1401-Assembler program to deal with accounts and payroll. When some professors got a chance to score an IBM 70x0/7094 lashup (I don't remember if it was a 7040 or 7090) from some Air Force activity, the accountants were happy to tie it in with their 1401 and everybody got to access their good line printers, etc. When it came time to replace the 7094, the accountants overrode the researchers' desire for a computer thought to be better suited for scientific computing and forced the purchase of the S/360. Why? Because IBM had included microcode that allowed some 360-models to emulate a 1401. Fear of having to retool old code was and still is a powerful motivator.

In the end, researchers rewrote and improved a lot of IBM system software and even we scientific end-users made contributions to the IBM Scientific Subroutine Package (SSP). IBM reaped the benefit.

The 1970 bombing of the Mathematics Research Facility at the University of Wisconsin ended the halcyon period of computing for me. Security walls and check points were hurriedly thrown up around the UC computing facility and grad students were no longer allowed to roam where ever we wanted. Fortunately, that's when my lab partner and I convinced our research advisor to spend an obscene (for him) amount of money to buy a PDP11. After that, the S/360 was just the machine I used to analyze my data so I could publish and graduate.

Regards,
Kent