[appletech] Re: new member, as we all are with questions about the IPad Mimi.

  • From: "Thom Spittle" <thom3of5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <appletech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 23:22:55 -0400

Jim, Here is something I had on Bluetooth keyboard key combinations.

It's a little old, but aren't we all. Smiles.

Thom

A Few Important Notes

Before I go into the various keyboard commands, there are a few things I

would like to mention. First, for Windows users, there are a couple

noteworthy differences between a traditional PC keyboard and an Apple

keyboard. Instead of the control, Windows, and alt modifiers, Apple devices

use control, command, and option. Control maps to control, Windos maps to

command, and alt maps to option.

Second, in the list of keyboard commands below, you will see references to a

"VO" modifier. In the world of Apple, the "VO" (or VoiceOver) key is control

+ option. That is, if the keystroke says, for example, "VO + down

+ arrow",

you perform this keystroke by holding down control and option, then pressing

the down arrow.

Third, when listing keys, I use both a + (plus) and * (asterisk) connectors.

A + indicates which modifiers (such as control, command, or option) are to

be used. The * indicates the keys are to be pressed simultaneously. For

example, "left arrow * right arrow" means you press the left and right arrow

keys at the exact same time.

Fourth, if you find some of the keys with multiple modifiers do not seem to

work with your Bluetooth keyboard, try using the other modifier. For

example, my Bluetooth keyboard has control, command, and option keys to the

left of the spacebar, but it also has an option key to the right of the

spacebar. When performing any commands that require holding down all three

modifiers, such as to increase the VoiceOver volume (VO + command + up

arrow), I have to use the right option key; if I use the left option key,

the command does not work. This is no doubt a limitation of my keyboard, not

iOS 4.1, but it is good to keep it in mind.

Fifth, most of the text navigation commands that make use of the command key

can also be performed by substituting the control key for the command key.
This is especially useful for some Windows-based Bluetooth keyboards.

Sixth, iOS 4.1 has something called quick nav. Quick nav, when turned on,

allows for easier navigation between elements using the keyboard. To turn

quick nav on and off, you hit the left and right arrows simultaneously.

Seventh, I have broken the following 57 keyboard commands into four

categories: general navigation, VoiceOver controls, text navigation, and

Unix-style text navigation. For each action, I have listed the corresponding

keystroke when quick nav is on and when quick nav is off. Some commands can

only be performed with quick nav either on or off, so the corresponding

entry in the table states N/A if the command does not apply. I have also

listed the corresponding VoiceOver screen gesture (where applicable) for

reference and ease of transition.

General Navigation

table with 4 columns and 23 rows

Action