[HG-PBEM] Fixing things up <was "Pop goes the Meeting">

  • From: "Dennis D. Kirkpatrick" <dkirkpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:14:34 -0700 (MST)

[GM: I realized that the posts crossed and weaved. Here is the new canon
version, fixed and pressed. Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks.]

>> Another bubble pop.  "Bulwark 1000.  Sweet."  Keavy briefly smiled
>> at the mention of the race before she got serious again.  "What
>> about Mother Superior?  We aren't going to have to put up with any
>> more gangsta types sniffing around here are we?  I don't like being
>> a target outside of the race track."
>>
>> Juliette nodded in agreement. "Can we expect more attacks?" she
>> asked. "What reason do we have to believe that this Mother Superior
>> won't try something similar again?" Somewhat naively, she added,
>> "What about the authorities?"
>>
>> "Authorities?" the Colonel replied, seeming befuddled at the question.
>> "This is Khayr ad-Din. There are no official authorities,
>> unfortunately. Except maybe the Transrail Authority. However, I have
>> worked to secure further aid from,... another source," the Colonel
>> admitted. "I can't be more specific than that, but, to answer your
>> question, we shouldn't see anymore attacks like those in the Sand
>> Stone. Bishop Xavier has been dealt with appropriately." The Colonel
>> seemed specifically suscinct on that last statement.
>>
>> place is lawless," she returned, "What's to keep them from
>> striking back? For whatever you had done to Xavier, if
>> nothing else." Disgusted, she added, "I don't enjoy being
>> caught in the middle of some kind of gang war, especially
>> when we weren't told about the risks up front."
>>
>> "Xavier crossed a line," the Colonel answered back. "The desert winds
>> are shifting. Things in the Core are changing. I can assure you of that.
>> I made a promise to you in contract, and I intend to keep that promise."
>> His gaze scanned everyone on the hangar. "I need you all to trust me
>> over the next few weeks."
>
> "I'm still a bit confused" Rohgen confessed. "Why would they bother
> doing this to us? A racing team? I thought they were just a punk cult
> group of damaged people who have a thing for drugs and sex".

"I don't understand what you mean," the Colonel replied, seeking
clarification.

> Seeing the oppertunity, Rohgen innocently added "what would they care
> about us for, we're in the sport entertainment trade and I've never even
> met their devil, Spider". "Hell, they have yet to even try to convert
> me", Rohgen tried to sarcastically feint disappointment. "Anyone else
> experience a conversion attempt? And what does this Brother Xavier have
> to do with it?"

Jezebel's on gaze Rohgen grew cold and focused. Clara let out a cough as
though she had choked on something. A mild sweat appeared to glisten on
her skin.

> Rohgen decided to end off with a hint to anyone who may have seen
> through the feint and jab. "I only ask this 'cause now my butts involved
> in this too".

Chico raised an eybrow and looked at the Colonel. "He's worried about his
safety."

> "//That should drop the hint that I'm lookin out for me, and not some
> other person in this now obvious cloak-and-dagger routine//," Rohgen
> thought.

The Colonel nodded at Chico's conclusion. "I don't what you mean by
'conversion attempt'," the Colonel responded to Rohgen, "but I can
understand your concern. First, I don't see how the Xavier was interested
in you earlier. You weren't a part of our team till after the attack in
the bar. As for hereafter, like I said, he has been dealt with."

[...]

> Keavy snapped her gum again.  The incident in the bar and the stories
> that the crew was telling of meetings with the Bishop began to worry
> her.  She was used to conflicts on the track but this seemed to be a
> different and more dangerous game altogether.  She stole a quick glance
> over at Terry trying to read his reaction.  He was always better than her
> at reading people and had a sensible head atop his broad shoulders.
>
> "I want to move on from the setbacks of the past days, weeks and
months," > the Colonel declared. He looked at Chico and his wife. "To
that end,
> dear?"
>
> Jezebel looked at Chico then addressed the team. "As some of you may
> know, we have an opportunity to secure a significant revenue stream from a
> prominent trideo studio in Port Oasis. If we can land the contract, the
> Redliner's will be able to meet its revenue demands and pay you the
> seasonal salaries that you are expecting." Her eyes fell on
> Terry. "Terry, you and Chico are scheduled tommorrow morning to meet with
> the studio agents and the trideo star that want to strike the deal.
>
> "Who is the star?" Keavy asked, her mood brightening considerably.  Now
> the conversation was moving into territory that she was familiar, and
> more comfortable, with.  "And what do they want with the Redliners?"
>
> Chico spoke up. "I also want Clara to attend that meeting as well. I
> believe that her skill with numbers will be important. Those Port Oasis
> lawyers will try to bleed us like a hunter vine."
>
> "That's fine by me," Clara answered.
>
> "Good, very good," the Colonel affirmed. "This is really important." He
> gestured to the array of Gears filling the hangar. "Our Gears are ready
> for the time trials scheduled in a couple days, but we need more cash to
> secure the spare parts necessary for repairs and maintenance in the
> actual race." His eyes fell on Rohgen. "This will be your chief task,
> Rohgen. Your resume claims that you are an excellent salvage expert and
> capable of improvising. With the few spares that we have on hand, Hanna
> and her pit team should be able to handle the time trials if any issues
> arise, so you'll need to go and deal with the Trash Queen and secure us
> what we'll need for the race."
>
> "Ei-ei, colonel" Rohgen snapped back, ignoring the insinuation that he
> had been lying on his resume. "I just need to put together a list of what
> needs to be done and what I have to work with"  he continued his eye's
> shifting towards Keavy and Terry "...and for my next trick I may need my
> beautiful assistant and a volunteer"

"Right," the Colonel acknowledged. "Felicity, Luc and Tina can help you
with that following the meeting."

"Sure thing," Felicity chimed. She and Tina had been standing behind most
everyone leaning against the wall.

[...]

Hanna spoke up. "I'll also need to work with all the pilots and Silas to
do prep work for the upcoming time trials."

"Very good," the Colonel responded, clasping his hands together. "Unless
anyone has anything else, I think we all know what we need to do over the
next couple of days."

[...]

Dennis D. Kirkpatrick
Littleton, CO USA