[HG-PBEM] Re: Atop the Bulwark

  • From: "John Guilfoyle" <john.guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:52:53 -0600

> >"5th Cavalry, Republican Army," Juliette answered. Looking out to the hazy
> >pink bands of the desert horizon, she added, "The 5th is responsible for
> >the security and stability of Saragossa."

> Shamus raised a brow ironically.  "And a fine job you folks have
> done there, huh.  What a fine vacation spot that place is.  Khayr ad-Din's a
> pit, but at least there are fewer suicide bombers...  You must've really
> impressed the right people to get such a plum assignment, Mademoiselle."

Juliette raised her dark goggles so she could look Shamus in the eyes. Her own
were a luminous green in the morning sun. "It was with great honor that I
served with the 5th," she answered. "Their task is noble and often thankless,
protecting the people of the city and the Republic from terrorists who think
nothing of killing dozens of innocents to make their political statements. It
is a city wracked by violence, and what greater role can a soldier serve than
to play a part in ending that?"

"So," Hanna spoke up. "Why did you leave?"

Lemanz looked sidelong at Hanna. "I was dishonorably discharged," she answered
in cool tones. "Wrongly, but the rules of conduct for a Republican soldier are
unforgiving."