[aodvv2-discuss] RFC 6621 considerations

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:45:57 -0700

Hello folks,

We had a discussion thread about the use of techniques in RFC 6621. I mentioned at the time that I was not aware of any downside in the circumstance that some AODVv2 routers would implement RFC 6621 and others would not.

That isn't a very precise statement because there is more than one algorithm discussed in RFC 6621; moreover, there is more than one kind of "downside". Nevertheless, to the best of my knowledge my claim remains true "in spirit". Here is some example text taken from Appendix A of RFC 6621, which is naturally much more precise than my earlier claim.

The "Essential Connected Dominating Set" (E-CDS) algorithm [RFC5614]
forms a single CDS mesh for the SMF operating region. It allows
routers to use 2-hop neighborhood topology information to dynamically
perform relay self-election to form a CDS. Its packet-forwarding
rules are not dependent upon previous hop knowledge. Additionally,
E-CDS SMF forwarders can be easily mixed without problems with CF SMF
forwarders, even those not participating in NHDP. Another benefit is
that packets opportunistically received from non-symmetric neighbors
may be forwarded without compromising flooding efficiency or
correctness. Furthermore, multicast sources not participating in
NHDP may freely inject their traffic, and any neighboring E-CDS
relays will properly forward the traffic.

If we specialize our suggestion to say E-CDS instead of RFC 6621, it might curtail some uncertainty. And I like E-CDS the best. Nevertheless, I believe the same considerations hold for MPR selection algorithms.

Regards,
Charlie P.