[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Questions - Applicability Statement

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:34:11 -0700

Hello Vicky,

Follow-up below:

On 4/30/2015 6:54 AM, Victoria Mercieca wrote:

... the sentence currently says:
"When AODVv2 is the only protocol interacting with the forwarding table, AODVv2 MAY be configured to perform route discovery for all unknown unicast destinations. Such routers will reply for each address request."

Performing route discovery for all unknown unicast destinations - dont we do that anyway? If a router client wishes to send a packet, does it matter what the destination IP address is? We always send a RREQ.

Here, the client wants to send a packet and there is no route.

I didn't originally write the sentence, but it seems to me that the first clause should simply be deleted. I think it's about an AODVv2 gateway to the Internet.

The second sentence - replying for each address request - does this mean the behaviour in the section on simple internet attachment?

Yes, I think so.

* The bit about sparse traffic scenarios - is this because of
unicast routes? Does the statement still apply if we have
subnets configured as Router Clients?

No, it's because of the on-demand nature of the protocol. It is
not related to router clients.

Basically, "sparse traffic" ==> "fewer application launches" ==>
fewer routes needed ==> less control traffic.
Here, "sparseness" refers to traffic patterns, not volume of traffic.

My thinking was that if we have subnets configured as router clients, then even though the RREQ and RREP contain unicast IP addresses, all routes learned are to subnets, perhaps reducing the need for route requests in future? I dont think this changes the statement that is already there though.

Yes, this is correct, but the reasoning was because of sparseness, not because of the subnetting. Both do lead to a reduction in route discovery traffic.

Regards,
Charlie P.