[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Metrics (removing references to alternate metric types)

  • From: "Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 23:36:59 +0000

A DEFAULT_METRIC_TYPE is configured on each AODVv2 router so that any AODVv2
messages generated which are associated with that metric type do not
need to explicitly include an indication of that metric type. This means
that when a metric type is not included in a message, DEFAULT_METRIC_TYPE
is assumed. When sending information about routes with non-default metric
types, the MetricType data element MUST be included.

Ooh not sure about this. It's ok if all your routers use the same
configuration, but if you want to include others organisations routers who
could be using a different default, the unspoken metric type will be
different, which will >>cause great problems. I believe that we should never
assume a default type. However I'm open to some text that caveats the use of
the implied default stating that Here Be Dragons.

For any configuration variable, it is possible to screw it up.

Nevertheless, people use configuration variables and this is a good example of
the value of doing so.

While I agree that "for any configuration variable, it is possible to screw it
up", I respectfully disagree with the follow-on statement "...people use
configuration variables, and this is a good example of the value of doing so."
Actually, IMHO, it's a great example of why you would *not* use configuration
variables. As John states, routers in an AODVv2 network *might* use different
defaults, and therefore, problems will ensue. But those problems would *only*
ensue precisely because a default was configured, and therefore, not announced.
The fix is to *always* explicitly include an indication of metric type. That
way, there's no possibility of being misinterpreted. I believe that is a much
better approach.

Regards,
Stan

This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains
information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary
and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.