[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Expanding rings multicast

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:25:28 -0700

Hello John,

Briefly, expanding rings multicast has been shown to offer faster route
discovery in circumstances where neighboring nodes are likely to have
a route to the destination. For TCP, either end might use it and have
a quicker repair for a broken route.

We wrote a paper about it a long time ago. When I get caught up
with the Security Considerations revision, I'll go look for it.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 4/27/2015 9:10 AM, John Dowdell wrote:

Hi Charlie

So I have to confess that, while reading your Intermediate RREP draft, I didn't really know what Expanding Rings Multicast was so I went and did some reading, ending up in RFC3561.

I can sort of see what you are describing, in that you are effectively pinging an RREQ in the hope of receiving an RREP on a steadily increasing timeout (if I have understood that correctly). Can you elaborate some use cases on when you have found that facility useful please?

Best regards
John