[aodvv2-discuss] Re: AODVv2 manet WG pre-meeting

  • From: Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Justin Dean <bebemaster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 15:40:26 -0400

John,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 9:17 AM, John Dowdell <john.dowdell486@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Dear all (and that includes you, Justin)

I'd like to request an informal AODVv2 and manet co-chairs pre-meeting at
Prague to go through the possible scenarios that could happen in the manet
WG meeting, and the ramifications of each.

Particularly

1. If the WG decides it is not in favour of last call, what are the
possible alternatives?

As I understand the agreement, if the document fails to get to WGLC status,
then it will be re-branded as "Experimental".

2. If the protocol is rebranded as Experimental, what does that mean?

From an IETF perspective, it means a lower bar of entry; that it is *not* a
standard. By definition, it's an ongoing experiment. From a product/vendor
perspective, I have no idea. Each vendor/implementer would have to make a
call as to whether it is worth the time and effort to code up an experiment
- something that *could* radically change, before becoming a standard. That
said, I was involved in the arguments about RFC 5820 and the other MANET
experimental RFCs for OSPF - and it is possible that a commercial vendor
will implement an experimental RFC.

3. What does the IETF rule-book say about having to have implementations
(and indeed about maturity in general) of standards track protocols at the
first time it is submitted as a candidate for RFC?

As I understand it, there are no rules about implementations. There *used*
to be a rule about having at least 2 inter-operable implementations for a
Standards Track protocol, but that was dropped. It's pretty much up to the
WG.

I note the meeting has now moved to Thursday which gives us some breathing
space. Vicky won't be there so we need somewhere reasonably quiet in range
of WiFi so she can Hangout with us.

@Justin and Stan (with co-chair hat on), can we find time for this please?
I'm not suggesting for a second that we fix the outcome, but that we are
all aware of the deeper meaning of whatever the WG decides.

Deeper meaning? You made me look up the "Deep Thoughts" website (which used
to be a comedy bit that ran on the US television show "Saturday Night
Live"... URL http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/ Today's Deep
Thought?

"When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions
about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out
of it is just to say 'No speaka English.'"..... ;-) ;-)

Regards,
Stan

Best regards
John