[analogorgans] Re: Rodgers 740 Organ

  • From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 11:38:43 -0500

> I am looking at a Rodgers 740 organ that a dealer is trying
> to sell me.
> He wants $3,800 for it and has offered to transport it,
> voice, and install
> it in my home.

Seems high to me.  Of course, the moving, install and voicing services are
worth a few hundred $$.  You'll always pay a premium with a dealer, but you
have to weigh the potential benefit down the road if you can expect the
dealer to still be there to support the organ.  They are getting to the age
where some electrical refurbishment could be necessary for peak performance.
I've had a Rodgers analog of one kind or another in my house since 1980, and
never had an actual failure until about a year ago, when the Harp/Carillon
in my 750BE quit (Should be easy enough to fix, but I never used it, so I
just left it).

Prices on analogs of all ilk have taken a real nose-dive in the last few
years.

All the base technology is very consistent model to model from the early
70's through early 80's, with only minor differences as some component
technology got better.  In my experience they are very reliable, and hold
ther tuning well -- it's mostly ferrite cup-core LC oscillators, and they
are inherently stable.  You might need to touch up the upper octaves more
often than anything else.  I have a 750BE that I tuned maybe 5 years ago,
and it was still just fine when I finally disconnected the Rodgers internals
and converted it to a Midi console for Hauptwerk
(http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/) a few months ago.

By the way, if anyone in the D/FW area has a need for excellent condition
Rodgers M-10C speakers in brown utility finish, drop me a private email ...

Grant