[analogorgans] Re: Photos of a 550 up at Rodgers550.com

  • From: "Thomas W. Nelson" <twn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:55:41 -0400

Ken Fedorick wrote:

>Nice organ.  I like the way they did the power amp rack.  My 37E has 14
>channels.  I can use some of the ideas to rack the amps.

Wow.  Never heard of that model, Ken.  Is it a customized version of a 36E?

The power amp rack is a good idea to keep everything together,
especially in home or mobile installations, but you need to be careful
with the cooling if there's any possibility of pushing the S-100s near
their rated power.  When I built my 'rack' from a Conn 255 tone cabinet,
I mounted the amps horizontally by their short-side flanges on wooden
rails that ensured that there was sufficient convection airflow up
through the heatsinks.  When I add the additional amps for the
antiphonal channels on my 660, I've allowed enough room between these
'shelves' so that the added amps below won't cook the ones above.

I know the Rodgers amps are darn near indestructable, but call me
paranoid.  I'm a long time EE and I hate having component failures at
the worst time because of dumb cooling mistakes.

Tom Nelson
Rodgers 660D & 34A/325 hybrid