[amen] Russia/Apples From A Special Place.

  • From: Seraphim Sigrist <ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:22:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Friends of Christian Renewal,
First a reminder that the reply function on this is disabled so
please all replies and correspondance direct to me at
ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx

The Moscow Conference on Fr Men and the Bible was very
successful and I will report to you on that separately.

Today, writing from Moscow I should like to share a visit to
to Butovo a place to the south of Moscow which was a killing
ground used by the Communists mostly  for people from the Moscow
area and in particular in 1937 and 1938.

You may see a picture at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/seraphimsigrist/218039.html
There is a new church and a bell tower and there are stones
with the inscriptions of many names of those murdered here.
In the church the attendants tell us that the names of
10,000 are known but countless others unknown. Included
are 900 bishops and priests. Enough record remains of them
that 250 of the 10,000 here have been  formally recognized as
saints by the Church.
10,000 in the Moscow region in 1937-1938 in just this
one place. Think of the whole land and of the whole
Communist period.
But we will remember also the day when they will return,
the many millions from this land,
the six million of Israel,
the children of Beslan
the New York fire fighters
and all also our mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters
and ourselves also... will return
and so it is not wrong that there are flowers and apple trees also
even beside a mourners bench long enough to stretch to Eden.
where there were also apples and flowers or perhaps indeed
it must be the same garden because it will return
Will return and has returned and
We walk in the apple orchard , there are flowers now and
apples on the trees. When we leave ladies from the church
follow us to the gate with a big plate of apples newly fallen
and we eat them in the car. Karina says "Every centimeter of
this place is soaked with blood...eating these apples is like
communion."
Just this,  and excuse the slightly flowery writing and  am yours
+Seraphim

All donations for the work of Hosanna to
"The Patristic Society"
320 South Broadway P-7
Tarrytown NY 10591
all correspondance to me at ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx

vacation from the list on the list home page here:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=amen