[amc] sanctuary study class homework

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:20:39 -0500

In the Sanctuary Study class this next sunday we will discuss the topic 'Mennonite identity now' in the series presently underway. We are encouraged to list activities which our community has practiced that construct the identity of Austin Mennonite Church as a way of recognizing how we are contributing to the present distinctiveness of being 'Mennonite.'

I have listed some recent involvements below. Please add those I have overlooked, and we will compile a comprehensive list in the class on Sunday. Delegates to the assembly in Columbus will add this list to those that will be prepared by other Mennonite communities across the country.

Thank you for your ministry to our community. May it go well with you. Sincerely,
Garland Robertson

Contributions of AMC for Shaping Mennonite Identity Now
Members of the Austin Mennonite Church have worked to provide the following:

Desire to follow the way of Jesus is sole criteria for becoming a part of AMC
community

Staff, operational, and financial support for Trinity Child Development Center

Sponsor for Windsor Park Community Garden project

Share worship facilities with Principe de Paz, Spanish Disciples of Christ congregation
Initiated start of 10K Villages store in Austin

Weekly presence at Caritas to assist feeding homeless community in Austin and
distribute excess bread in the local community

Sponsored first ever National Assembly to Honor Freedom of Conscience

Partner with Palestinian Conflict Resolution Center in Bethlehem, State of
Palestine: visits with center; financial support for projects; sponsored
Zoughbi (founder and director, Palestinian Christian) travel to Austin to meet
AMC and to present paper at annual Association for Conflict Resolution
conference

Protests of governmental policies promoting injustice and disrespect:  local
marches/protests for ending Iraq war, promoting racial equality, and demanding
immigration reform; national marches against Iraq war; civil disobedience in
Washington DC at White House and IRS Headquarters; arrests and jail time in
Washington DC; court appearance in Washington DC to explain concerns with war
in Iraq

Support of CPT: financial support; presence on delegation to First Nations
community at Grassy Narrows in Ontario, Canada; presence on team in Palestine
at Hebron and At-tuwani shepherd village; presence on team in Iraq at
Sulimaniya, Kurdistan

Presence with Doctors without Borders in Sudan * * * * * * * * * * Discussion Concept: Consider the prospect of organizing a war-tax resistance group action? Idea is to inform IRS of the group-intention to pay only portion of taxes used to nurture and build community relationship and to withhold the remainder and send it to an agency (maybe CPT) trying to repair the damage done by war activity and other nationalized disruptive actions? We are part of a historic peace community and could use this identification as the basis for our redirecting tax money away from actions which distress community in order to promote relationship as most effective way of resolving conflict. We could search for legal advice for fashioning this witness. Reflection....