[amc] Texas Interfaith Disaster Response Update!

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:21:41 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: <main@xxxxxxxx>
To: "rgingerich" <rgingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 9:46 PM
Subject: Update!

Thanks to all of VOAD for a great meeting today! I was excited to visit with
so
many of you as you discussed the efforts - AND SUCCESSES - so many of you were
having as you meet the needs of those affected from Hurricane Katrina. Texas
Interfaith Disaster Response (TIDR) will continue to focus on new challenges as
relief efforts take shape. We listen to the needs of the affected population
and respond by communicating and coordinating the appropriate response.

TIDR was formed because of the foresight and strategic vision of VOAD to
promote, assess and facilitate relief efforts by religious groups. TIDR's
purpose is to see that the work of faith groups is effective, efficient and
appropriate.

In the early days of evacuees arriving in Texas, TIDR focused its efforts
on coordinating and providing chaplaincy services in the Austin Convention
Center, where 4000 evacuees were living.  TIDR's effort were successful.
TIDR recruited, trained and set to work approximately 100 chaplains of
various faith traditions.  TIDR volunteers set in motion five daily
worship service for evacuees.  We also provided volunteers to the primary
relief
agencies to help coordinate their efforts with the faith community.

As more centralized organization has developed at the Austin Convention
Center, the Austin Police Department Chaplain Services office has taken on
the tasks of identifying and orienting chaplains. The APDCS is now
coordinating pastoral care and worship. Volunteers wishing to take part
in these efforts should contact the Austin Police Department Chaplains to see
if
added resources are required.

So what now? Well - quite a lot! There are several hundred NEW Austinites who
are trying to "fit in". They need assistance in many ways: Jobs - furnishings
- orientation - community. There are still 2,000 persons waiting for services
from the appropriate agencies. Which means that they are still in "stand-by"
mode. The Red Cross is working hard to help each and every person affected by
this disaster; as are so many others. Together we will make a difference.

The IHN is stepping forward for the next phase of our partnership by offering
information and training for relocation efforts. If you or someone you know
wishes to be involved in relocation efforts, please refer to IHN email from
TIDR. As relocations occur - from whatever agency/group/community - we will
still need to be there to support them and care for them as they go through the
grieving and adjustment processes.

In the next 24 hours we hope to hear what the long term strategy for the
refugees is. If our efforts need to be focused on shelter and care - then that
is what we will do. If it is for relocation - we are onboard. Whatever the
RIGHT decision is - we will communicate and coordinate with the faith community
our response.

If you are already completely immersed in service work - then don't defocus!
Your efforts are noted and appreciated. If you are looking for what to do -
let us know! We will get work to you ASAP so that your tangible care can be
matched with a quantified need!

Keep heart - we are making a difference!

Rev Frank Goldsmith
Rev Amy Elder