[amc] Re: Prayer Request for Today, Mon 2/23, 3-7PM

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:25:54 -0600

Nature

Friends,

"I will treat him respectfully, but I can never forgive him," the mother of the
dead 19 yr. old said of the drunk driver who caused the death of her son. "I
can't either," added the dead boy's older sister at the last preparation
session only one month ago.

Yet, today when the victims sat sat face to face with the offender, each said,
"I forgive you, Carl." Later I asked what had changed their minds. "When he was
sitting there taking responsibility for what he had done, making no excuses and
opening up his heart to us, I just had to do it--it was the only thing I could
do," she said as her mother nodded. "My heart was completely cleansed of all my
anger toward him," the mother added. "I will really sleep tonight for the first
time since my son died three years ago."

The offender agreed to the sister's request that he be her speaking partner at
MADD victim impact panels (where DWI offenders are confronted with the
seriousness of their behavior). They will plant a tree together at the grave of
the dead boy in May.

Thank you for your prayers.

Ray

 "The only people on earth who do  not  see Christ and his teachings as
non-violent are Christians." --Mohandas K. Gandhi

GIF image

JPEG image