[amc] Next Sunday School: Love and Suffering in Andrei Rublyov

  • From: "Sarah Abraham" <sharky.chan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:15:51 -0400

The film Andrei Rublyov (1969) by Andrei Tarkovsky reimagines the life of
beloved Russian iconist Andrei Rublyov.  The film chronicles Rublyov's life
and shows how the gifted artist tries to find beauty in a world of terrible
suffering and cruelty.  Rather than just reflecting a particular doctrine of
the Russian Orthodox church, Andrei Rublyov forms a personal interpretation
of God's presence that reflects Tarkovsky's own.

Next Sunday school, I will examine several scenes that show the evolution of
Rublyov's spirituality (with subtitles of course!).  I would like to analyze
how he deals with the forces of suffering and love, and also find a
connection between the film and our modern day, non-Soviet lives.  Please
join me for this presentation on one of the greatest movies ever made.

--Sarah Abraham