[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:11:58 -0500

I pray you are inspired as you journey in companionship with the spirit of
Jesus.

Whenever we hear the word 'safe,' a certain image forms in our brains.  It
may be a baseball player sliding into third; a heavy metal box with a
combination lock; a child in the arms of a firefighter emerging from a
burning building.  'Safe' generates these scenes because of the meaning we
associate with the term:  to be outside the reach of that which will
interfere with our pursuit of life.  'Salvation' is a religious term which
means 'to be safe':  a condition which God sent Jesus into our world to
communicate to us.  However, when the scripture talks about salvation, it
does not describe a condition which the word 'safe' brings to our minds.
Sometimes our frustration in following the way of Jesus occurs because we
unconsciously expect that if we are faithful disciples we will be safe from
disruption, outside the reach of that which will interfere with our pursuit
of life.  'Faith' is the factor which moves us away from obsessing with our
pursuits and toward trusting God's design for our life.  In biblical
terminology, we are 'safe' by being full of faith in the pathway that opens
before us, regardless of its threats to our pursuit of life.  Thus in spirit
we can be calm in the storm, even when we are afraid and perplexed and
feeling alone.  These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday,
'The spirit passes safely through the storm.'