[amc] Re: Men--discussion detail

  • From: Ron Diener <rondiener@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bob <rkoehn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Austin mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:54:03 -0800 (PST)

  Here's a glimpse of detail on the topic. We thought it would be interesting
to discuss the construction of image-- that is, how each of us actively works
to create and maintain an external presentation of ourselves. We all do it,
both consciously and sub-consciously. And though we might like to think
otherwise, it doesn't end when you turn 30 (or 50, or 80).

  Image is not strictly limited to the visual, of course, but visual is the
obvious place to start. So, in that light, for the purpose of kicking off
discussion, we request that everyone bring several photos from a period of your
life when the visual presentation of yourself was noticeably different from the
present, perhaps the teenage years. Some of us old seasoned guys will likely be
back in the 60's & 70?s or earlier, the (g)olden days. Others of us might be
dusting off the late ?90s. However, the underlying dynamics of image
construction are the same, and that's what will be fun to discuss, along with
the various states of neurosis these things can induce.

  For anyone interested, there is an exhibit at the Harry Ransom center at UT.
Saturday and Sunday hours are noon to 5pm.

  http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/current/2007/dressup/

  Ron Diener

Bob <rkoehn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          MEN:
   MEN'S FELLOWSHIP MEETS THIS SUNDAY, NOV.11 AT 6:00 p.m. at 7809 Cheno
Cortina Trail.

  Topic:  Polyester philosophers

http://mail.yahoo.com