[amc] Fw: Texas Interfaith Disaster Response Update 5

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:41:02 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Goldsmith" <update@xxxxxxxx>
To: "rgingerich" <rgingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 8:56 PM
Subject: TIDR Update...

Whoever named this Labor Day wasn't just making it up! The amount of Labor that
went into today has been astronomical - but it was worth it. We saw the very
core of our soul exposed today as people worked tirelessly to continue to meet
the needs of so many. And the core of the soul of the people of Austin looks
wonderful: it is a panorama of love, compassion, grace and peace. People of
all faith traditions, all ethnicities, all genders and all ideologies have come
together to find the common ground of compassion so that we can meet the needs
that are so evident.

The TIDR (Texas Interfaith Disaster Response) has worked hard to earn your trust
so that we can cooperate in this effort. We have organized many initiatives
with disparate organizations so that compassion ministries can be paired with
need to provide APPROPRIATE, EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT response. Your
participation and cooperation is noticed and appreciated.

The Convention Center has become ground zero for Austin as we respond to the
disaster. Thank you to The Austin Police Chaplains who have worked so hard to
help provide a safe, efficient template for volunteers to follow as we meet the
needs at gound zero. Their leadership has been incredible!

We now have a certification process for all persons who wish to participate in
providing pastoral care to the refugees. Certification classes will be held
at 1pm and 7pm each weekday. No one will be allowed on the Convention floor
without proper identification.

Interfaith coordination for response on the Convention floor has been
spectacular. ALL faith traditions have come together as one as we respond to
this tragedy. As we move forward, unity will become increasingly more
important!

The TIDR has now placed volunteers on the floor of the Red Cross Service Center
at The Rock. We are listening to the needs that are arising and are prepared
to call the differnt responding organizations. We have a gracious offer for
transport services should the need arise, so - if you can meet a need but can't
coordinate the delivery - we can help!

Each of you has heard the need over and over. Non-perishable foods, water,
hygiene products, diapers, cards, money.... These needs have not changed, and
won't for a while. But something has changed!

A short time ago we were caught in a quagmire of hopelessness and doubt - but
not today! We are hopeful! We are certain! We have seen the results of
cooperation and felt the joy of unity. We are watching as something larger
than all of us emerges from our joining together.

Take heart - we are turning the corner. We are seeing the fruits of our labor.
Blessings are ahead in ways unimaginable before. Please, stay committed! Stay
focused! Stay hopeful! Blessings are ahead for many as we put aside our petty
differences and join together in compassion.

Our humble thanks for all you are doing! We are blessed today because of your
gifts of time, talent and money!

Rev Frank Goldsmith
Rev Amy Elder