[amc] FW: MDS Update: April 25, 2013

  • From: Lee Lever <leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AustinMC freelists <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:14:56 -0500

FYI

Lee Lever

Subject: MDS Update: April 25, 2013
From: eCommunications@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:14:50 +0000

    This is the MDS Update for April 25, 2013

CURRENT NEEDS
Crew leaders are needed in Far Rockaway, NY, in May, June and July.

Cooks are needed in Minot, ND, Jun. 1-22.

A Project Director and an Office Manager are needed in Far Rockaway, NY, Jun.
8-28.

Day or weekly volunteer groups are needed in Far Rockaway in May.

If you are interested in any of the opportunities listed, please call (800)
241-8111 or e-mail syoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more information.

UNIT PROJECT NEEDS
The Crisfield, MD, project, coordinated by the Eastern VA Unit, needs project
directors, cooks and crew leaders beginning in May. Contact: Ken Kurtz, (757)
403-6161, or Jay Rohrer, (804) 310-9142, for more information.

REMEMBERING BERT HAMM
MDS is saddened to report that Albert (Bert) Hamm of Edmonton, AB, died of a
heart attack during the early morning hours of Thursday, April 18. He and his
wife, Doris, were serving as Project Director and Office Manager at the MDS
project site in Far Rockaway, NY, at the time. They had arrived on the project
on April 10 and were planning to serve until the end of May.

The funeral service was held on Wed., Apr. 24, at the First Mennonite Church in
Edmonton.

Please remember Doris and her family in your prayers. We also ask for prayers
for the long-term volunteers on the project site in New York.

If you wish to send condolences to Doris and her family, call the Region V
office, (204) 261-1274, or the Binational office, (717) 735-3536, for contact
information.

Click here to see the obituary that appeared in the Edmonton Journal.

BASTROP, TEXAS
Disaster: 2011 Wildfires
The Bastrop project is closed for the summer. We expect to open the project in
the fall, dependent on funding for clients through the Bastrop County Long-Term
Recovery Committee.

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA
Disaster: 2011 Tornados
The repair work on Ms. Martha’s home is really winding down. Hoyt had hoped to
get it finished this week, but little things kept popping up. The painting is
completed, and the carpet is installed in the sitting room. Sam, our cook’s
helper, enjoys going out occasionally, so he was willing to go out to do some
electrical repairs. Another day’s work should have their home repaired.

We continue to be amazed, but not surprised, how God prepares persons to come
to supply our needs at just the right time. Two of the new jobs were window
replacements and gutter installation, and this was the profession of one of the
gentlemen that God sent this week. They also replaced a door and a window in a
mobile home.

A big thanks to all who helped work, to all of you out there who donate money
to keep us fed and working, and all the rest of you who are praying for us.

FAR ROCKAWAY, NEW YORK
Disaster: 2012 Hurricane Sandy
The unexpected passing of our Project Director, Bert Hamm, changed the schedule
at the project this week. Fortunately, Jerry Plett, pastor at St. Vital
Evangelical Mennonite, Winnipeg, MB, was a part of our crew this week and his
presence and comforting words were appreciated by all of the long-term
volunteers. After some discussion, the long-termers decided to work the rest of
the week, with smaller numbers of day volunteers. Bert and Doris dedicated much
of their time to MDS work, and to honor him, the work continued. Crew Leader
Alvin Graber will step into the role of Project Director through May.

MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA
Disaster: 2011 Floods
Minot continues to groan under the burden of people that remain without a home
after the flood of 2011. We have encountered a number of multi-generational
homes in this community. Parents are sharing their homes with their children
and grandchildren. Getting homes rebuilt will help to restore families and
reduce stress.

This week we were blessed to have four young men from southern Ontario and one
gentleman from central Alberta as short-term volunteers. We were also fortunate
to have Kenton and Violet, from the local church, join us on the working crew.
The work on a number of houses progressed considerably this week. Thanks be to
God for willing workers!

Contributions may be sent to:
USA: 583 Airport Road, Lititz, PA 17543 or
Can.: 6A-1325 Markham Rd, Winnipeg, MB R3T 4J6
Donate Online
Tel: USA (800) 241-8111 Can. (866) 261-1274

Remember the variety of ways you can give to MDS – volunteer your time, give
money through cash donations, planned gifts, bequests and traded securities.
Call our office to learn more details.

Follow Us On Facebook: You can now receive timely MDS project updates when you
"Like" us on Facebook: Mennonite Disaster Service

    If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may
    see it online.

 Share This:

                                583 Airport Road | Lititz, PA 17543 US

This email was sent to leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx.

    To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

    manage your preferences |
    opt out using TrueRemove®.