[amc] AMC Update with a Jan 5 deadline

  • From: Austin Mennonite <austinmennonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:25:31 -0600

*Greetings of peace and love as another year draws to a close.  *
*I pray that you are able to look to the new year with anticipation and
hope.  *
*May the good news of the love of God in Jesus Christ sustain your spirit.*
*
*
*If you are struggling I hope we can share your burden.*
*If you are rejoicing, we rejoice with you.*
*
*
*I appreciate the Austin Mennonite Church community*
*and the many ways we help and encourage each other*
*and the many ways we serve and enrich humankind.*
*
*
*We are a gifted, diverse and interesting congregation.*
*I am glad for our partnership in faith and life.*
*I am looking forward to the journey of a New Year with you.*
*
*
*Peace,*
*
*
*Pastor Lee Lever*

*
*
*Please respond to the following:*
*
*
*Mennonite Disaster Service, Bastrop, Service Saturday (Jan 19 or 26?)*
*Carl Dube has invited us to pick a Saturday in January where we can go and
help with an MDS house.   Everyone is welcome, but there is an age limit.
MDS does not allow children under the age of 16 to participate due to
safety concerns.    The unit will be reopening Jan 7th after the holidays.
-- check you calendars and see if you are available on either Saturday:
January 19th or the 26th.
-- let Steve Hochstetler know which date works best for you and how many
people would be in your group  (send to Steve at srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx )*
*-- January 5 response deadline (MDS needs time to prepare for the workday
- scheduling projects, gathering materials, how many volunteers, skill
sets, etc.)*
*

AMC Updates

New Year's Resolutions (from 5th Sunday combined SS class:*

   - more songs in Spanish
   - cabinets in kitchen under counter
   - more interaction with Principe de Paz
   - sponsor a plot in community gardens for a family
   - lean into green for our campus and facilities
   - better signage and publicity about AMC
   - one day VBS this summer
   - sponsor an event on preventing violence

*Prayer items from the last two weeks*

   - Dama - shared with the congregation from Isaiah 41:10 and 43:1-6 her
   confidence that God is always with us.  Dama and Ted returned from a recent
   trip to Belize where they visited grandchildren and family and friends.
    Ted was sick in Belize and received medical care but is feeling much
   better now.  Pray for their grandchildren in Belize.
   - Gloria - persons affected by recent apartment fires in Austin.
   - James - enjoyed a successful game night. (He's really good at Dutch
   Blitz!)
   - Jared Diener and Mikki Brock announced their engagement.  Jared is
   moving to Stanton, Virginia by the end of the year and has a new job at
   James Madison University.  Mikki teaches history at Bridgewater College.
   - Bob Koehn - experiencing the loss of a long-time friend and has
   another friend with Parkinson's disease.
   - Stacy - thankful for tears and laughter in life.
   - Lee - Terri struggling with respiratory issues.
   - Linda - thankful for experiences in the past year that have brought us
   closer to God.
   - Anna - facing surgery first week of January.  Her mother from Maryland
   will be coming to help.

*Paul Snow encouraged the congregation to "tie one on" for our January 6,
2013, Epiphany worship.  (It means wear a tie!)  There is a lot of
resistance to the idea and some have threatened to wear more than one tie
in protest.  Thank you, Paul, for sticking your neck out on this one!*

*Calendar*

*Jan 3, **7am** *– Men’s breakfast at Jim’s Restaurant, Research/183 and
Burnet.

*Jan 4, **5-30-8**:00pm* – volunteers serve a meal at the ARCH (Austin
Resource Center for the Homeless).  We are covered this time. Contact Bob
Koehn (rkoehn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) if you are interested in volunteering
sometime.

*Jan 6 – *Epiphany Sunday, communion, potluck.**

* *

*Jan 13, **1-2:30pm** –* Contemplative prayer.

*Jan 17, **7pm** – *Women’s group.

*??? Jan 19 or 26 MDS Bastrop workday ???*

*Jan 31, evening – *Ervin Stutzman, Executive Director of Mennonite Church
USA at AMC.  What would you like to know about Mennonite Church USA? (Ervin
is in Austin for a meeting with Christian Churches Together and asked if
there would be an evening to meet with AMC folks.)**

* *

*Feb 17 – *Lent 1

*Mar 31 – *Easter

*Lee Lever, Pastor*