[amayausers] Re: question about design ownership

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:15:30 -0500

Copyright law was also the subject of several articles in Sign
magazines-that's where I learned it all, also went to the gov't
website to get a copy of the laws.
Aaron's post with Helens remarks boils it down nicely.
Now, here's what we have been hashing around on the 'sign' chat I'm
in all the time.
Designing/layout/artwork-there are 'companies' out there that do this
for a livingl. That's all they do-generate logos and artwork. They
don't make signs, they don't print business cards, they don't
embroider shirts. They CHARGE a fee to design your logo or teeshirt
design. They charge a BIG fee to do this. Not $5 or $10...the
'average' fee I've heard to do a simple 'real estate logo' design is
$250.00
Our city manager  (without any permission) contracted with a
'consulting firm' to get a new city logo last year. For EIGHT
THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS he got a simple 'crosshatch' tic tac
toe design (as everyone calls it now) that any local high school kid
would have done for free. It is supposed to represent the original
weaving mills that were built here 150 years ago.
So he got this 'logo' and 50 pages of blahblahblah explaining how
they came up with the idea. That's alll-not even business cards-for
$8500.00
The last 'logo' for the city, only 5 years old and I did it for
shirts, signs, banners, you name it...was the result of a contest
with the school kids and cost nothing!
So, moral of the story here...IF YOU DO DESIGN WORK GET PAID FOR IT.
DON"T GIVE YOUR TIME AWAY....not when someone else will charge them
for you!
Why did the client come in and ask YOU to design their logo? Well,
chances are good they called a graphic designer and found out how
much THEY would charge, and figured YOU wouldn't charge because you
are going to do a couple shirts for them.
Look at what you have to pay Dakota to get a simple 5,000 stitch
design-not a custom one-a stock one-about $25.....THEY charge YOU, so
why don't YOU charge the client for custom work?

Embroidery costs almost nothing-look at how many shirts one cone of
thread will do. It is our TIME that costs money.

Roland