[amayausers.com] Re: pricing and competition...

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:31:45 -0400

If I had the time...I still probably could not list off the number
of competitors that have come and gone here just in our
city and the surrounding area- either embroidery shops,
engraving shops, screenprinters, or sign makers. I do all of this
in my little business...and it seems like every 6 months someone
else is popping up-and all I get is grief from customers about
'he charges less', or 'I was given a price, will you match it?'
Nope. Not interested! Most of the time, and I mean 9 out of 10-
the customer complaining about the price is a 'window shopper'-
looking ONLY for the cheapest price-irregardless of the quality.
Can't talk any sense into them...but I don't try-because I am so busy
taking orders from other customers who are satisfied with my work
that they DON'T price shop. And, I give them deals all the time.
If it's screenprinting, I'll run off some baby shirts for their kids
(hey, its cheaper than a discount-and anytime you give someone's
KID a freebie-you scored major brownie points).
If it's a good sign order, decals, whatever-I'll run off a couple dozen
fridge magnets with a miniature of the sign. What the heck-I throw away
more wasted vinyl than it takes every day! And, half the time-they come
back when they find the magnets in the bag (or tote bag) and order
$100 worth! Big embroidery job? Run them off a fleece blanket-pick them
up at Big Lots by the cart full for $3.00 on sale once a year!
Or sew their design on a totebag and put their shirts or jackets in it... tote bags are only $2-3.00 each-even a super 'boat tote' is only $5 or $6. Use it as a 'delivery bag' for the client-and I bet he'll order some and PAY
for them!
Meanwhile...the other guy is working 12 hours days for $2 an hour because
he advertised-really!- COMPLETE RACE CAR LETTERING for $50......
I get $1000 minimum for a complete car or pickup truck! He can HAVE it
for $50!
Well, he lasted 6 months...sold his vinyl cutter to a customer for less than he
was going to charge to letter the whole van up!
Yup...really hurt my business. I'm already over last year's TOTAL sales as
of the end of August.
I know I had one 'price shopper' customer that took his truck lettering to this
guy or someone...we parked next it this week...and the lettering was all
peeling off! Never happened on one of my jobs-ever!
And the limosine service I do all the work for now-and no question on
$75 to do a nylon lightweight jacket...because one of 'the other shops now gone' cut corners...and his fully embroidered jacket back unraveled when one thread got caught. All the lettering...most of it half gone. The limo logo- looks like a rat
ate it.
I should get that old jacket from him-and hang it up on my wall with a sign...
"want low prices? This is what you get"....
John puts it right on the money...
and I quote him.... :-)
Don't undersell your services - sell QUALITY.
Sell yourself, your business, your responsiveness, your reputation. Word
will get around....

Roland