[amayausers] Re: embroidery sales

  • From: e3m@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:56:45 +0000

Kim & Besse,
Make sure you are not taking away from your profits in embroidery and the sales
of the garment in order to pay this sales person.  You should add to YOUR price
a small amount to cover the "convenience charge" that the salesperson is going
to offer the customer so that the customer doesn't have to stop what they're
doing to drive to your location and place and pick up the order.  The
salesperson usually presents samples and explains what you are going to be able
to offer the customer and then delivers the goods and handles any problems
associated with the order.  They also offer a personality that is customized
for the customer so that it makes this off-site purchasing a more enjoyable
one.  You know, in the comfort of their own location and such.

That is what the customer is paying for.  Kind of like the difference between
going to the store and purchasing your own pizza, bringing it home and cooking
it as opposed to calling the delivery pizza guy.  Sometimes you're just willing
to spend the extra money to have someone else do all the extra work.

If you ask me, a salesperson should have minimum and maximum commissions.  A
minimum to make it worth their while and a maximum so not to gouge the customer
on very large orders.  You could also call around in your area to determine
what the cost for similar products and services would be in your region.

We have some outside sales people that use our embroidery services and have
their own accounts set up with shirt/bag/cap companies and they mark up the
garment to make an extra profit for themselves.  We then only charge them for
the embroidery.  Sure, we lose out on the garment profit but we get plenty of
business this way and ultimately, embroidery is what we do for a living.

Good luck to you.
Ed Orantes
504-258-6260

-------------- Original message from AthenaAccents@xxxxxxx: --------------

Hello all,

      Our query isn't Amaya-specific, hope it's not inappropriate for this
board.  If so, maybe some of you could answer via our email?
AthenaAccents@xxxxxxx
     My partner and I are reflecting on our first year with our Amaya.  We seem
to have mastered the basics (and then some) of the Princess' many magical
capabilities and now need to focus on bringing in more business.  We are
limited in time to "outreach" to local businesses in person (we both have other
full time jobs) but have a potential salesperson in mind.  Our question is:
What type of commission scale or percentage is "standard"? I did read the
archived post about an employee bringing in orders.  The person we have in mind
is a co-worker and good friend of mine with the gift of gab, charm, and need
for a little extra money.  Any ideas will help us out, thanks!

Have a happy and thread break-free New Year!!!

Kim and Bessie
Athena Embroidery Accents