[amayausers] Re: american made....

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:46:37 -0400

Lots of myth busting to handle...what a can of worms.
American Apparel...good clothing if you like young shapely girls in
tight stuff...and evidently so does the CEO...busted! Prime time
teevee showed the world last week.
American made goods....hold your horses...very very few companies are
really producing MADE WITHIN THE BORDERS OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED
STATES goods. Yet they ALL have a 'made in the USA' tag. Hanes,
Jerzees, all of them. How and why? Well, for everyone that fell
asleep in geography and history class in school...Puerto Rico is NOT
the only 'island' country still OWNED by the United States in some
form or another...we (the USA) still own many 'islands' and
'territorys' across the world.  Since there was a big stigma attached
to 'going mexican' with your production factory...Hans, Fruit of the
Loom, Jerzees...all shut down their USA 'mainland' plants and moved
them to these 'territories'....at wages of dollars per week...and
STILL legally able to say 'made in the USA'..... Surprise! You are
buying sweatshop labor made garments whether you believe it or not!
If you buy teeshirts BY THE FULL FACTORY CASE like I have...read the
labels! I had cases of shirts come in once, all white teeshirts...all
adult sizes, all by the full case for a big job. Opened them
up...EVERY 'size' of teeshirt was made in a different factory in a
different 'location' so NOT ONE of the shirt sizes matched the other
for WHITE! And quality was different, material was different, even
relation of neck size to shirt size changed! And these were JERZEE
brand!  With some investigation work, and talking with sales reps ,
etc. I learned what I just told you!

Using any silk material or silk thread? Those caterpillars don't live
in America....
and how's your Amaya sewing with your Organ needles. Like the way
they work? Nice, huh? Made in Japan....
and the computer running your design shop and amaya program....all
american made? You sure?
And the monitor on top of it...I have probably 12 monitors kicking
around here...american 'companies', yes, but not one says 'made in
the usa'...
WE don't want to pollute our water and land with the chemicals used
to make them...can't even throw old computers and monitors in the
dumpster-get fined for that! I have helped out at a local computer
'recycling' center...they strip down computers and monitors by the
SKID load...and it ALL gets shipped overseas...because those
countries have no laws about pollution like we do.

As for digitizing- american company or overseas....$10 versus
$3....well, chances are the 'overseas' people are faster, more
efficient, more educated than the majority of US graduates...and cost
of living is a fraction of what it is over here. So they CAN do it
cheaper and faster. Why are they doing it cheaper? Competition...10
years ago THEY were getting top price-because no one over HERE was
doing it. And unless you happen to talk to the actual person that is
doing the digitizing, or runs the business HERE and you know
them...you may very well STILL be getting 'overseas' labor. No way
for US to find out...
Next time you call your electric company after hours...or your
insurance claims department, OR EVEN ORDER AT A MACDONALDS DRIVEUP
WINDOW....chances are, the person on the other end of the speaker
doesn't speak english at home! Because most of the larger businesses,
including Macdonalds...have found out with satellite phone service
and overseas low wages and higher productivity...it is cheaper to
contract it out instead of hiring local people to try and do the same
job.

Like many of you, I do try and support local businesses whenever and
wherever I can-even to avoiding chain food restaurants in favor of
'Sally's Home Cooking and Bakery shop' when we go traveling.
But you can't always do that...and when the competition is offering
embroidered hats with 10,000 stitches and free digitizing for $2.99
($1.75 my cost) then what can I do? Pick up the catalog, call the USA
office of the across the world manufacturer, try to explain in simple
english to someone that speaks who knows what....and place the order
for my client because I can't get anything USA made for less than $6.99.
Very hard to convince the guy that buying american is good for him!

Roland