[amayausers] Re: XP Professional vs XP Home vs ???

  • From: Paul Tilton <ptilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:16:36 -0500

Well, something I DO know about, glad to be able to contribute for a change...
I run XP Pro on my office computer (where I do design work), and XP Pro on
the dedicated computer in the sewing room...I used to run 98SE on both, no
problem either way... I have the machines networked through a router, and
load the designs from my office onto the sewing room computer...
I see no reason you could not keep your current configuration, but if you
are going to upgrade to XP, go with the Pro version. XP home is not
friendly when it comes to home networking. It can be done, but it takes
some know-how...Stick with XP Pro...
XP Pro runs noticeably faster than 98SE, for sure... It looks different
(cosmetically), but you can make it look like the Windows you know and
love/hate with a few tweaks, I would suggest that... XP Pro wants to look
pretty, but it runs faster if you make it look like 98....

But why do you need to get a laptop?  I went to training in Charlotte not
long ago and did not need a computer...BTW, check out the EMachines laptop,
I have installed software on one and it seems to be a lot of features for
the money.... I would seriously consider one if I were to get a laptop...My
son has an EMachines desktop and he got a great deal .. I can't build a
machine that good for the price he paid...

P.S.  I am a "downsized" career (26 years) computer professional now doing
embroidery, I love it...

At 07:13 PM 12/28/2003 -0700, Rod & Sharon wrote:
>   We will be going into Denver for tech training within a month.  We will
>need to purchase a laptop before we go so we are told...  Would some of you
>share with us your experience with the operating system you are running.  On
>our computers at home, we have Windows 98SE on one in the office and Windows
>2000 on the dedicated sewing room computer.  If we upgrade to XP, is that
>good? Bad? Any comments on other systems?
>   Thanks,
>   Sharon

Paul Tilton