[amayausers] Re: Tall Polo Shirts

  • From: "Jack Fuller" <Jack@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:41:48 -0600

Kris
Where to start! First, practice the basics on scrap fabric. The learning
curve is somewhat steep but definitely do-able. I wouldn't even think about
doing a jacket until you have been trained but if that isn't possible start
with the easy stuff. If you are new then I will start with some of the very
basic basics that seem to trouble a lot of new embroiderers. Density is the
distance between the stitches often measured in points or millimeters. Most
AMAYA/Design Shop users use points. Design Shop defaults to points. There
are 254 points to an inch. Default density is based on the width of the
column and is pre-set in the software. It is best to use the default setting
at first. When you say "12" I assume you are talking about material
thickness. 12 may be correct for a jacket. But if you are using scraps to
practice on try to find the same fabrics that are in the jacket. If this is
a new design you might want to run it through the stitch proximity filter
found in the Tools menu in Design Shop. Read and follow the instructions in
the Help menu if you are not familiar with the feature. Be sure you save the
file under a new name IMMEDIATELY after doing the design filter otherwise
you will save it over the original design which may not be a good thing. The
file name should look something like this: "filenamev1.ofm" where "FILENAME"
is the name of the original file and the v1 indicates that it is the first
revision of the original. Now load the design and practice. Use all the
default settings. Be sure the thread follows the proper path as shown in the
Help files. The needle and presser foot should be set according to the
recommendations in Design Shop.

Now, when hooping the garment, make sure the fabric is taught but not tight.
That means it laying flat without folds or ridges but not stretched.
Stretching the fabric will cause puckers. Never tighten the hoop after the
garment has been placed in the hoop. You want the hoops to fit together
snugly enough to stay together during the sewing and not separate but not so
tightly that you leave hoop marks also known as hoop burns. Be sure that you
hear the two clicks when you put he hoop on the arms. If you don't hear the
TWO clicks you may not have seated the hoop properly and, as the pantograph
moves around rather abruptly, the hoop could become dislodged on one side
and cause registration problems.

These are some of the basics. Try them and let us know how it all works out.
You are amongst fellow travelers so don't be shy.

Jack Fuller