[amayausers] Re: Support Arm Screw Hole - Spring?

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:31:42 -0500

Dorothy,
Rod is right on the money as usual.
I would like to add to what was said if I could.
You had mentioned that you were using a screwdriver to turn the screw.
Yes??
If that be the case, chances are that you have the older style Brass Screws
(gold) that came with the earlier year Amayas.  Sometimes microscopic brass
shavings can come off the threads of the screw and present you with issues
similar to that of stripped threads.  ...Such as hard to turn screws.

If this is true, I suggest you step up to the newer style Stainless Steel
(silver) screws that have been around for a couple of years.  This screw
utilizes a 6 mm Allen wrench for easier installation than that good ole
right angled screw driver.  The part number for the newer screw is
"12392-01".  I suggest you purchase about six.  Four for the machine and two
additional just in case.

However,...  be warned.  The 6 mm Allen wrench can deliver quite a bit of
torque.  All you need to do is "spin" the screws until they seat into
position in the hoop arms (a drop of oil on the threads from time to time
always helps), then snug them down by hand, and then use the 6 mm Allen
wrench to turn them about an 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and NO MORE.  I have seen
several people break the head off the screw because they thought they were
back in the gym flexing their muscles, doing their best impersonations of
Arnold Schwarzenegger. (Including myself)

I believe the screws are around $2 bucks a piece.

Good luck to you,
Ed Orantes