[amayausers.com] Re: Paratrooper design for jacketback

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 16:45:18 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/529.html#000001

If they want a custom job, why don't they want to pay for the digitizing? I
know-some customers think that it is 'our' problem to come up with design work
for free and they shouldn't pay for it. But you have to be realistic with
them-just because they saw the embroidery somewhere else-on someone's jacket or
shirt-doesn't mean WE can get that design for free!
Sometimes you luck out and find what you need for 'free clipart'-but someone
still has to take the time to digitize it.
Unless you can 'add in' the digitizing or art charge split between the 5
sweats...you can't afford to give it away unless you do your own digitizing at
night. A jacket back design can run $50-$150 depending on who you use...even
doing it yourself may take a couple hours, which costs you money also.
And the couple of hours you have spent to find it...that's how many hours you
aren't sewing jobs?
I 'allow' an hour or so of 'computer time' for each order I take-because my
screenprinting minimum is $75. Embrodiery...I have a $10 minimum
anything...even just adding a name. For digitizing-I can show them the Dakota
book what it costs to 'buy' any design-find one about the size of what they
want...and that's what they should expect to pay for their design!
AND, do NOT list the 'digitizing' on the invoice-list it as 'computer file
setup time'.
Otherwise-they can request and expect YOU to give THEM your computer digitized
file-and they can take it anywhere they want that will undercut you for the
next order. But 'computer file setup time' is not a 'physical property' that
they can make you supply. You set it up...you own it!
Good luck
Roland