[amayausers] Re: Outbid

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:47:55 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/76.html#000008

John, you raise good valid points-if you have 2 heads, lets not say they are
sitting idle-we're all working 12 hour days, right? LOL but with 2 heads your
own labor is more efficient and therefor you can charge less. But, with over 25
years behind me in screenprinting and commercial sales for several other
companies....I have learned that 'doing a favor' can come back to haunt you!
Now, not to say I don't do that...a former landlord that was very good to us,
held rent checks for months when it got tight and never complained-is now in
Kiwanis...and anytime  he comes around looking for 'a favor'- I do it-without
hesitation. Why? Because he makes SURE the other business men in his club KNOW
we are doing a deal-and he sends them our way with more business for full
price. And they know it coming through the door-they are not getting the 'club'
discount. But a NEW customer coming through the door-with 'the other guy gave
me a $4.50 quote'...well, if I meet that price-I can never as
 k that customer to pay full price again-because he'll just tell me 'the other
guy' will give him the deal price. So what did I gain? Nothing...when I did do
this type of 'favor'...they sent in friends that expected the SAME price deal.
So, you do have to stop and think-what is the REAL possibility that I will
benefit from lowballing this order? Is it for a good cause, is it for a good
customer? If its a good customer, why didn't he buy the shirts from me? If it's
for a club or group-have they ever given me a chance to do business with
them-or is their 'regular' supplier unwilling to cut a deal? (yes, this is
typical-I see it all the time-we get offered the 'lowball deal, or can you
donate this or that?-while the same group will give their 'regular' guy a
$2,000 order for something we could do! As I mentioned earlier-I just flat out
stopped doing anything to meet someone else's 'quote' price-and over the last
year I have doubled gross sales and kept busy-while watching severa
 l competitor go under because they couldn't survive on lowball jobs. If I had
2 or 3 heads, sure-I'd lower my prices...I bought a new digital printer/cutter
a year ago-and dropped my banner and sign prices because my production time is
cut in half or more...and I'm so busy I can turn away some orders. Same works
with multi heads for sewing...but don't get trapped by trying to 'do a favor'
when it really translates to 'lowball just to keep the other guy from getting
it'.