[amayausers.com] Re: Opinions needed re: hook wash

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:14:51 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/1275.html#000002

Judy from Kona will probably have something to say about this one as I had her
do this when she was having so much trouble with her XT trimmers, and thread
breaking. It solved her problems because she also had been using a lot of the
adhesives. Doing the hook wash will not hurt anything and will certainly clean
things up. The WD40 will disolve the adhesives and crud that builds up from the
glues that you are using.

It does not suprise me to hear that your tech has not heard of this. WD 40 is
used for many things and it is an old trick of the trades. Guess it takes an
old dude to remember the old ways. Just ask any young person what 2 bits, 4
bits or 6 bits is?

 WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a penetrating oil which will free moving parts
up but will also dry out pretty quickly. Always clean and lubricate with the
proper machine oil after doing the hook washing.

 I create a large fill design, square, rectangle, circle, doesn't matter. Just
something that will allow the machine to run continuously. If you can't create
the fill, just pick on a design that will allow the machine to run as continous
as possible for a bit. It does not matter which needle is the active needle.

 Lay an old towel under the sewing arm. Remove the bobbin. Go into Settings and
uncheck "All Thread Protection". Lift the pinch lever on the needle you are
going to sew on. Slow down your speed to 300 to 600 or so, just so it doesn't
want to throw the fluid everywhere. Spray the WD40 into, and all over the
rotary hook area agressively. Give it time to disolve, spray some more. Clean
the bobbin case with WD 40 also.

Use compressed air to blow it dry and then lubricate with sewing machine oil.
That's it!!

Rod Springer
Amaya Tech & Trainer