[amayausers.com] Re: Needles - What Do YOU Use?

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:55:30 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/634.html#000006

Herb is absolutely right. Years ago, in the home sewing world of embroidery, we
were told to change our needle with every design---we only stitched with one
needle.  I felt that was too often however.

Sharp needles are designed to "cut" the fabric to make the stitch and
ballpoints are supposed to roll over the thread and go between.  Knits will run
or create a hole if cut.

Have you ever purchased a garment with embroidery and it looks good out of the
store, but once home, worn and laundered, it starts a hole around some of the
stitching at the edge?  Chances are it was sewn with a sharp needle which cut
the fibers of knit.

We should use the smallest needle we can considering the size of thread we use
and still get the strength to push through the fabric we are stitching on. The
DBXK5 needles have the larger eye and that is to accommodate the thread for
faster stitching.

As always, right on Herb!
Sharon