[amayausers.com] Re: How to make the outline on letters look good

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:06:22 UT

This message was posted by KERRMINATOR on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/984.html#000001

I have only done outlines around lettering on a couple occasions, but I managed
to get it to look decent without a ton of trouble. The first time I did it, the
font I happened to use was Arial, it was about 1 1/2 inches tall, and was a
fill stitch with a satin column border. I used the auto-border feature in
Design Shop Pro V9 (I'm not sure what software you're using) but if you have to
digitize it yourself by tracing around each letter, it's more time consuming,
but the technique is generally the same.

First off, if you're trying to put a border of really small text, then you
should just use a bean stitch. Don't use a satin stitch unless the font size is
at least 3/4" Also, I don't recommend putting borders around intricate scripts,
or fonts that are varying in column widths (they get really skinny in parts and
the border will overlap itself).

There is also variation from one embroidery machine to another. We have a new
AMAYA XT machine that stitches approx. 3X's faster than our other machine, and
text is usually the thing that varies the most between the two machines.

Basically what you want to do is allow for pull compensation; When you trace
each letter, make sure the center of the column is inside edge of the letter.
Depending on how big the letter is, it may have to be centered right over the
edge of the letter, or 90% on the letter. If you are doing small text with a
bean stitch, the path should be on top of the letter, in only a small amount.
On the ends of letter, for example on a "T" the bean stitch path should be a
little bit of a distance away from the edge of the letter.

Chances are you won't get it completely right the first time, you just have to
play around with it and you will end up stitching it out several times before
it's completely right. Don't argue with the fact that what you see on the
screen isn't identical to what stitched out. Go by the sample you stitched out
and if it looks like the border needs to be shifted a certain way, shift it the
amount you think it should, even if it looks correct on the computer screen.
The image on the screen is just a guide, usually it's pretty accurate, but it
doesn't account for the type of fabric you're stitching on, pull comp, etc.

Another trick for small text is, instead of tracing around each letter,
digitize one large fill block that goes behind all the text, but leaves an
outline in the shape of the entire word. It's not the same, but you do get a
two colored effect.