[amayausers] Re: How did this happen

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:32:36 -0500

I think you hit it on the head when you said "Nothing is confidential on the
Internet".  I was surprised to find out years ago when I "Googled" my phone
number.  I found that anyone in the world could find my address, some
personal info and the fact that my wife and I owned our own business simply
because I was participating in the Amaya User Group.  I was especially
concerned because the last year I was working for my last employer, no one
at that company knew I had my own business.  I was real nervous that I would
be fired before I was ready to leave based on a conflict of interest.

Fortunately no one found out until I was ready to resign.  I know realize
that since this is a free list, that the information contained within is
free as well.  That's why some participants only use their first name.

Of course at the same time, you can use it to your benefit for marketing
purposes.  I feel like I have nothing to hide at this point so I'm not
concerned about the information shared and I consider the folks within the
Amaya user group kind of like a family.  Real personal stuff I keep to
myself.

Know that in time, not too many people will be interested in old information
obtained from the Internet. (Time heals old wounds)
Best of luck to you, PPI01@xxxxxxxx

Ed Orantes
New Orleans, LA