[amayausers] Re: Hats - Caps - WACF etc....

  • From: Peter Strike <strikesystems@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:09:59 -0800 (PST)

I think the advice of Rod Springer is spot on.  I'm somewhat cautious
when giving any advice because I know how new I am to this (and I know
am aware of just how little I actually know at this point).

My concern would be this... I don't even know exactly what I can
attribute the success with caps that we've had... perhaps I like
certain styles better because I could hoop them properly with a
relative ease?  I think that hooping has always been an important key.

I am not even sure that the conditions (including digitizing / certain
types of logos / lettering) are even duplicatable - so this advice may
not be worth much.  So any suggestions based on a style of cap I've had
success with may not translate.

Off the top of my head in the last few months, I had success with some
"Nu-Fit" caps from KC Caps, item #3920 - the athletic mesh hats.  The
youth version of this cap fit adults with smaller heads well, and the
adult size fit the rest of the crowd, so it worked well for all comers.

One that I did struggle a bit with was a run of caps from Sanmar...
that were the item CP80.  They were advertised with some support to
help with embroidery, but I struggled a bit at first to get the sew out
right.  (getting the cap to lay flat all the way through was tough, it
seemed to bubble a bit at points throughout the sewout, causing some
issues).  That being said the 2nd sew out would pass for sale quality,
and by the 3rd and 4th hats I had it down pat.

My recent favorite from Sanmar (to balance out the previous paragraph)
is an unstructured low profile twill, item # BTU.  This is a nice
quality cap (perhaps that's why I've had great sew outs with different
types of digitizing / logos / letttering).  Hooping was easy.  And even
though it's unstructered, the amaya has worked well with them.  Designs
just look really good after sewing out on this cap.  (obviously they
can't be too tall of designs 2" tall or less)

Again, I'm afraid I'm so new that these suggestions may not translate
to success for anyone else.  Maybe there's something idiosyncratic that
I do, that makes certain styles sew more effectively that not everyone
does etc.... so keep that in mind.

Oh  and of course... those sanmar trucker hats we did 12 dozen of sewed
like champs.  these were the foam trucker hats (I don't have the item
number off hand).  We had mostly script lettering logo for a trucking
company, and it seemed like we'd have 1 thread break every 8 caps or
so.   And that was at the maximum speed!

Also, keep in mind that I learned on the WACF, and I've used the WACF
for all of these jobs.  I guess since I've had success I've just stayed
with the WACF for now.

Don't know if this will help at all, and if any of you veterans see
anything that's objectionable to what I've written here... please don't
hesitate to pipe in... I'd like to know for future reference as well!

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum, it's been invaluable for
newbies like me who have certainly taken more from this that we can
contribute at this point.

Cheers,
Peter Strike
Indianapolis, IN