[amayausers] Re: Floppy Disk Error

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:26:49 -0700

Roland,

You and I have had discussions about your computer before. I still contend, there is an issue of some kind. I have also explained to you, no matter what was told to you before, that you are pushing what you have to the limit, and perhaps beyond with the operations you do in the one computer. As of yet we still have not determined what it is or what is in it for processor etc. You keep insisting that what was told to you by a technician months ago is what you are going by. I keep telling you what he told you was not 100% correct, and I still question it as you still have not been able to identify to me what processor is even in the computer. How would the tech be able to tell you it should be ok if you cannot even tell what processor it is? I have also told you that what he told you was wrong, and we, me, Melco apologize if you were given the wrong information.

I run an 850 MHZ AMD Duron (Low end AMD processor) with 320 MB of ram. I use this machine as it is the low end of what we recommend as minimum. (To find out how much RAM you have, go to Control Panel, then SYSTEM. On the general tab in System it should tell you how much RAM at the bottom of the page.) To see if I could get an error, I just ran Amaya, Design Shop, my email, Windows Explorer and all our network software which includes McAfee Anti Virus and a Fire Wall and I opened a jacket back size design in both Design Shop and AmayaOS at the same time without an error. Things got slow, but it did the task. I still contend you have an issue of some kind in that computer, and it is not to Melco's recommended minimum for the type of operation you are doing.

Melco does not recommend running Design Shop digitizing and AmayaOS in the same computer, at the same time, and expect peak performance. You use the graphics capabilities and the AutoDigitizing loading large graphics files and then convert them to stitches while running the Amaya. This is NOT what is meant by minimum recommended computer. Running DS and doing some light lettering, editing etc. while running AmayaOS is about the most you would want to do and expect maximum performance from a computer. The more graphic intensive you make the operations, the more resources of the computer you will use. Load a large graphic, and auto converting it is going to take a very large portion of the resources, then Amaya uses a large amount to keep communications going with the computer. There is a limit, and you push it with what you are doing. It also seems that for what ever reason, you have a problem just trying to open a design from a floppy disk while both are running. When Windows states is out of memory, memory is more than just RAM. Windows throws together different things, RAM is only one resource, and calls it all of it memory. You have RAM, Virtual Memory, (Hard Drive Space), Graphics Memory or GDI, and what is called USER memory all thrown together to make up what Windows terms as Memory. To get an out of memory error in Windows could mean a low resource in any one of those categories.

At one point you told me and others here at Melco you have another computer sitting and are waiting to get it hooked up. You were going to use it for Design Shop, and the other for Amaya and possibly network them together. For what you are doing, this would be an ideal setup and solution for you. As I told you before, let me know when you intend to do this and I would be more than happy to help you get it set up properly.

Jeff Banks
Melco Embroidery Systems

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>