[amayausers.com] Re: Carhart vs. Cornstone (Sanmar)

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:30:09 -0500

Good morning Griffin...
I don't have email in the house, only the shop-so it is
rare for me to pickup 'email' over the weekend unless I'm
down working.
The cornerstone Work Jacket is what I use and I think they are
great! Up here in NH everyone thinks they want the Carhart...until
I get a chance to show them the quality comparison, the price difference,
and the hidden zippers. As soon as I explain the problem with sewing
through the insulation-that makes a big difference-it gets cold up here!
Also, I tell them $15 just for opening and resewing the hem if they want
it 'inside' the jackets back-and another $10 minimum just to hoop a jacket they didn't buy from me...hey, my time is $$ and I'm making payments on a
Jeep rubicon-it isn't cheap.
They want to run out and buy jackets and sweats on sale someplace and
expect ME to sew on them for nothing? doesn't happen. Anything they buy
from me-jackets, totes, sweats, etc.-I've 'built in' the 'hooping time' and a little for quick artwork design-so that I've marked up the items 300% for under a dozen pieces, down to about 150% for high quantity...and then charge for the 'stitch count' on top of that. No complaints-pricing seems to be in the right range for most of the catalogs I run into. And those people that want to go to one of the other 3 shops in town-good for them! THOSE guys aren't charging the extra hooping charge or getting the markup I do-won't take them long to realize that if they have rejects or spend too much time designing or hooping for a $5 job that took an hour and a half...translates
at the end of the year into 'closed-out of business'....
For example...customer brings in a carhart jacket-normally $79 at the farm store-he got
it on sale for $59. Wants me to embroider front and back...
okay, front logo- 10,000 stitches with name- that's $15.00 plus $10 to hoop. Back design-I keep it simple, but still 35,000 stitches...$35 if he's getting a half a dozen or more, $1 per thousand, or $1.50 per thousand-he only wants 2. So theres $52.50 each plus $10 to hoop it. Now he's got $87.50 in that jacket plus the $59... $141.50 if my math is right... He gets the Sanmar work jacket from me...$59 then add the same thread prices but no hooping charges-he's already saved $20 per jacket. And I've made 3 times the profit because of the markup on the jacket! Now, if he decides to get a half dozen, my 'discount' on the jacket price kicks in-he starts saving more money on each one. Does he get a discount at the farm store buying more jackets? Nope...whatever their price is, that is what he pays for 1 or 12 of them. I've never had a single customer come back with Carhart's after I've done a sanmar
jacket....works for me!
The other problem-screw up one of his jackets-you have to go find a replacement and pay retail. Screw up a sanmar jacket-pick up the phone and order another one-less than $30
each.

Hope this helps!

Roland

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
NO PC or WORD files accepted!
Anything with .doc, .xls, .wvm, .txt, is automatically deleted. We have NO ability to view, read, or process any files from any Windows or PC based programs. Preferred method of files is PDF for invoices, page documents, etc. but not for graphics. Photoshop (v.6) for images to be digitally printed. ANY sign and logo work must be supplied in Vector lineart (macromedia Freehand) without any compression or .eps.
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dec 9, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Griffin William wrote:

Roland, is that the Cornerstone Work Jacket (J763) or is it some other jacket?

                Bill

Bill & Trish Griffin
EmbroiderOn
715 First Street