[amayausers] Re: Backpacks

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:33:20 -0400

I've been doing some totes that are supposed to be canvas, but are actually
a nylon or poly material similar to backpacks. We just threw a cutaway 3 oz.
behind, and then 1 higher MT than what we thought would work-didn't want to
'tear' through the nylon/poly. Came out great! I was doing a 10,000+ stitch
design logo about 3" x 3".
Getting into the 'pocket' is a real pain-then for laughs I checked the
catalogs I get for ad specialty to see what size 'area' is offered on totes
through some of them...surprise! Average 'embroidery image' area was like 2"
x 3" or 4"-yet I can screen print over 6"x 6" on the same pocket. So my
little logo was about the average that we could have 'ordered' from a mfg.
Some canvas totes we did last fall we used the fast frame and got larger
image area-using the hoops you had to go real small or the machine would
'push' the hoop right off the bag. Now it seems the same adhesive backing
doesn't hold at all-totes won't even make it onto the machine-they slide
right off. Did a couple using heavy duty 'wedge' paper clamps then gave up
and went to the smaller hoop-and shrunk the design. One school we had to do
the image on the back side-it was too large and too detailed to shrink to
fit the area on the pocket because of the hoop problem. They were okay with
it but not 'happy'...if I shrunk it there was a ton of detail that would
have disappeared.
On the 'canvas' totes we used solvy for finer images or else you get jagged
lines-on the poly even though it was 'textured' to simulate canvas, the
thread stayed on top and looked sharp.
Roland

From: "Cheryl Rotter" <tsiemb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:29:43 -0700
To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [amayausers] Re: Backpacks

Luann,

I  did 3 backpacks last week and it was probably a little lighter than a
Jansport, but close. I used double tearaway (just preventative I probably
didn¹t even need it) no topping. I put an double zig zag underlay to make
the lettering sit up nicely on the nylon. They were ½ inch block with two
lines. They turned out nicely and sewed like a trooper. I was lucky that my
15 cm hoop fit inside the pocket it needed to go on. Sometimes the biggest
issue on bags will be finding the hoop that will fit the design and also fit
in the confined space of a backpack pocket. Sometimes the zippers are in the
way, etc. etc.

Cheryl Rotter

Team Sports Ink

5111 Grumann Dr. Ste #1B