[aikido] Fwd: AKF Member Letter December 2022

  • From: Rick Berry <berryr140@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Aikido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 15:44:01 -0500

Sent by Berry Sensei
Begin forwarded message:

From: Aikido Kokikai Federation USA <akfusainc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 6, 2022 at 2:10:05 PM EST
Cc: Aikido Kokikai Federation USA <akfusainc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AKF Member Letter December 2022

Hello fellow AKF members,

It is hard to believe that 2022 is nearing its end. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and were able to spend time with your friends and family.

This past year has seen varying degrees of a return to life as it was in a pre-Covid world. Many Kokikai dojo have resumed practice as they had before the pandemic while others are practicing with some modification. For example, at the Princeton dojo we chose to resume indoor practice a number of months ago, yet are still wearing masks on the mat. Also, I see many dojo are having regional events where old friendships are renewed both on and off the mat.

In 2022 AKF also decided the time was right to sponsor some group training events, bringing us together on the mat again. The East Coast event in the summer was a great success, and we are looking forward to the upcoming event in Arizona in just a few weeks. Like the NJ event, the West Coast seminar will be offered at no charge to registered AKF members. If your membership has lapsed, you can renew it either before the seminar or at the door when you attend. In order to expedite the check-in process, we strongly recommend renewing your membership in advance. This will be a big help.

By now I am sure everyone has heard of Sensei’s recent visit to the USA. This was a hastily arranged trip yet there was the opportunity for some training opportunities with Sensei, all at the Keystone dojo. Sensei took this opportunity to announce a number of promotions. A list is attached. Congratulations to all. I also want to thank Todd. He did a wonderful job as always, hosting Sensei on and off the mat throughout the length of his visit.

Going forward, the AKF Board is already in the planning stages for 2023. Initial thoughts are that our next event will be in April on the East Coast (in place of our annual March Winter Camp) with a Western Region event later in 2023. We are looking at a Summer event as well. In all cases, we have contingency plans that classes can be taught by Sensei should he choose to come. Otherwise, classes will be taught by senior AKF instructors. On a side note, I want to thank Dave and Roni Sensei for starting the Winter Camp tradition all those years ago. However, I sure am happy to see it be pushed out a month. For the first time in almost 40 years we should have no worry about snow!
I personally cannot attend the upcoming AZ Camp, but I will be there in spirit. I encourage all to attend as this is a fantastic opportunity to train with many of our senior-most Kokikai instructors. For those who cannot be there, we will be streaming classes. Details to follow. In case you need one, attached is a Seminar brochure along with a revised schedule.

Enjoy your practice and I look forward to seeing you all on the mat sometime in the future.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan McDougall
President, Aikido Kokikai Federation
Attachments: Promotions, Fall Seminar brochure, Fall Seminar class schedule