[afrilex] Re: [euralex] Re: End of print dictionaries at Macmillan

  • From: Michael Rundell <michael.rundell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaguirreuk@xxxxxxxxx>, <euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <DSNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lexicographylist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <asialex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <afrilex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lexicografie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ishll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gillesmaurice.deschryver@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:26:22 -0000

Dear JosÃ

I'm sure a little scepticism is always a good thing, but this is a very cynical
view, I think.

Could I respond to a few of your suggestions?

(1) start charging libraries and end users for (renewable) subscription fees to
the online service

We'd be happy to do this if we could, but in reality no-one will pay for a
general English dictionary (just as no-one will pay for a general online
newspaper). In order to charge subscriptions, you have to provide premium
content - in other words something which a segment of the market needs, but
which goes beyond what people can easily find for free. Thus the OED, the
Financial Times, and Nature Journal can charge users, and other dictionary
publishers (Macmillan included) may in the future develop premium content for
subscription users - but it is by no means certain this model will work.

(2) recycle the same old stuff over and over again to "diversify" their
products.

The Macmillan Dictionary site (unlike some online dictionaries) is constantly
renewing itself. Not only is the dictionary itself updated regularly, but the
blog has 4 or 5 new posts a week, the crowd-sourced Open Dictionary now has
close to 1500 user-supplied entries, and the weekly Buzzwords column provides
interesting material on langauge change, new words etc: so no recycling of old
data here

(3) As for the end user, well, we've all been there before, they will enjoy the
functionality of their digital resources: "your session has expired, your
search history was not saved, please log on again, type in your subscription
number, user name and password" and so on

Already answered at (1): you are welcome to browse the Macmillan Dictionary all
day if you feel like it

all best wishes

Michael Rundell
Editor-in-Chief, Macmillan Dictionaries
          From: Gilles-Maurice de Schryver <gillesmaurice.deschryver@xxxxxxxx>
          To: euralex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, DSNA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
          Date: Monday, November 5, 2012, 11:00 AM

          Dear Friends and Colleagues,

          This is Breaking News indeed!

          "Macmillan Dictionaries will no longer appear as physical books. The
final copies are rolling off the presses at this very moment, and from next
year, Macmillan Dictionary will be available only online."

          http://www.macmillaneducation.com/MediaArticle.aspx?id=1778

          For the past decade or so, we have all been expecting an announcement
like this from one of the major dictionary publishers, and I am happy to see
that the honour goes to Macmillan, a key player in the monolingual learner's
dictionary market for English. Finally getting rid of the paper constraints,
and starting to exploit the true power of the digital medium -- and to be able
to do just that -- is nothing less than a revolution. I predict that the other
major publishers will now also stop talking about what should be done, to
simply take the step and do it.

          More info in Michael Rundellâs post below.

          Kind regards,

          Gilles-Maurice de Schryver

          President of AFRILEX and author of "Lexicographers' Dreams in the
Electronic-Dictionary Age" (IJL 16.2, 2003, free access here)