[afrilex] Re: [asialex] Re: [DSNA] FW: Macmillan's recent announcement

  • From: Jim Ronald <jmronald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slandau1755@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 06:52:15 +0900

Thanks for this news, Michael - both sad and liberating! As you mentioned,
for a 19-year-old Korean a paper dictionary is almost a museum piece
already. Even five years ago, I remember taking a set of paper dictionaries
to my class in Japan, and one student picking up one and nostagically
leafing through it, saying, "Ah, this brings back memories!"

As you know, the technological advances of handheld electronic
dictionaries, in Japan and elsewhere, have meant that users have resources
in their hand that before could only be dreamed of. For one thing, enough
dictionaries and other reference works to fill a couple of large suitcases
- with various jump, hyperjump, superjump facilities for flitting from one
entry to another, from one dictionary to another. Even to fill the screen
with concordance-type example sentences, or even to do the same with a
smallish corpus. Added to this are sound, highlighting and note-taking
capabilities, even graded readers... In many ways, a perfect language
learning resource - if it were used for all it is worth.

But this world of the handheld electronic dictionary, too, is fading fast.
After all, especially in times of recession, only the more dedicated
students would choose to shell out 300-400 dollars for one of these when
they can get a simple translation equivalent on their smartphone for
nothing. And without educating about what is in these dictionaries and how
to use them, and how to learn vocabulary rather than just look up a
translation for that moment's need, this simple bilingual dictionary on
their phone may seem to meet most of their needs.

There is hope with the growing presence of tablets in classrooms - at least
the screen is larger than the one on a phone - but the main challenge
remains not to make ever better dictionaries, whether liberated from paper
or not, but to make ever better-informed and motivated users of these
dictionaries. I remember twenty years ago one towering figure in the world
of corpus lexicography when asked about how language learners could use
these resources responding that it's not our business. I've wondered about
that ever since.

All the best,
Jim Ronald
Hiroshima Shudo University

--

Jim Ronald (Professor, English Linguistics)
Deputy Director, International Affairs Center