[adtools] libgcc.so, libstdc++.so, and other strangeness

  • From: Trevor Scroggins <trevor.scroggins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:01:33 -0700

Hi,

Referencing
//www.freelists.org/post/adtools/use-libgccso-instead-of-libgcc-sso
and this comment from the top-level ChangeLog:

2008-07-06  Henning Nielsen Lund <hnl_dk@xxxxxxxxxx>

   * gcc/gcc/config/rs6000/t-amigaos,amigaos.h: changed the build of the shared
     libgcc to link as "libgcc.so" instead of the standard "libgcc_s.so" to make
     it compatible to the standard naming in AmigaOS4.

I'm confused about the state of building and using shared libraries.
Does anyone know the original impetus behind renaming libgcc_s.so to
libgcc.so? This appears to be breaking cross-compiler builds where
configure can't find libgcc_s.so, and libstdc++.so is linked against
libgcc.a instead of libgcc.so, at least in the current trunk. I
haven't looked into it in much detail. The libstdc++.so distributed
with the SDK is properly linked against libc.so and libgcc.so.

I also see that the native g++ bundled with the SDK does not use
-shared-libgcc by default, which further complicates the libgcc,
libgcc_eh, libgcc_s, and libstdc++ relationship. Cross-compilers do
use -shared-libgcc by default, so Hyperion's GCC sources may differ
from the adtools sources. Are we missing upstream changes, or is my
build not passing an appropriate definition of ENABLE_SHARED_LIBGCC to
g++spec.c?

I'm aslo confused by this link spec fragment:

%{!static:--eh-frame-hdr} %{!shared: %{!use-dynld: -Bstatic}}

As neither -static nor -shared is a required option, a default link
command uses --eh-frame-hdr -Bstatic. Are these options compatible, or
are they supposed to be mutually exclusive? Are they only relevant
when building libraries?

Trev
Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools