[adeel420] who's on first?

  • From: "Sean Randall" <Shwatscoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adeel420@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:41:18 +0100

                                 Who's On First?
                     Sketch by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello:

Costello:   Hey Abbott.

abbott:      What do ya want Costello?

Costello:   Look Abbott.  I understand that you're going to be the manager of
           the Lou Costello Junior Youth Foundation baseball team.

abbott:      Yes.  We just organized the thing.

Costello:   Oh you did?

abbott:      Sure!

Costello:   Well I'd like to play on the team myself, you know, I know something
           about baseball.

abbott:      Well that can be accomplished.

Costello:   Well I'd like to know some of the guys names on the team, so that
           when I meet them on the street or in the ball park, I'll be able to
           say hello to them.

abbott:      Well surely I'll introduce you to the boys.  But, you know strange
           as it may seem, they give these ballplayers, nowadays, very
           peculiar names.

Costello:   You mean funny names?

abbott:      Nicknames.  Pet names.  Like Dizzy Dean.

Costello:   Brother Daffy.

abbott:      Daffy Dean.

Costello:   I'm their french cousin.

abbott:      French cousin?

Costello:   Goofe'.

abbott:     Take me out to the Ball game, Take me out to
       the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and...
Costello:    Peanuts! Popcorn! Get your Popper Jacks Here! Peanuts!

abbott:     Sebastian! Sebastian, get over here. Pardon him folks.
       What do you think your doing?

Costello:    I wanted the people to feel like they were in the ball
       park, because

Costello:    I  love baseball.  When we get to Saint Louis, will you tell
       me the guys' name on the team so when I go to see them  in
       that  Saint Louis  ball  park  I'll be able to know those
       fellows?

abbott:     All right.  but you know, strange as it may  seems,  they
       give ball players nowadays very peculiar names, nick names,
       like "Dizzy Dean."

Costello:    Not as peculiar as mine.... Sebastian Dimwitty

abbott:     Oh Yes.

Costello:    They got names funnier than mine? WOOOOOOOooo

abbott:     Oh Absolutely.

abbott:     Now on the Saint Louis team we have Who's on first,
       What's on second, I Don't Know is on third

Costello:    That's what I want to find out.  I want you to tell me the
       names of the fellows on the Saint Louis team.

abbott:     I'm telling you.  Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't
       Know is on third

Costello:    You know the fellows' names?

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Well, then who's playin' first

abbott:     Yes

Costello:    I mean the fellow's name on first base.

abbott:     Who.

Costello:    The fellow playin' first base for Saint Louis.

abbott:     Who.

Costello:    The guy on first base.

abbott:     Who is on first

Costello:    Well, what are you askin' me for?

abbott:     I'm not asking you  I'm telling you.  WHO IS ON First

Costello:    I'm asking you who's on first?

abbott:     That's the man's name!

Costello:    That's who's name?

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Well, go ahead and tell me.

abbott:     Who.

Costello:    The guy on firSt

abbott:     Who.

Costello:    The first baseman.

abbott:     Who is on first

Costello:    Have you got a first baseman on first?

abbott:     Certainly.

Costello:    Then who's playing first?

abbott:     Absolutely.

Costello:     When you pay off the first baseman every month, who
       gets the money?

abbott:     Every dollar of it.  And why not, the man's entitled to it.

Costello:    Who is?

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    So who gets it?

abbott:     Why shouldn't he?  Sometimes his  wife  comes  down  and
       collects it.

Costello:    Who's wife?

abbott:     Yes.  After all the man earns it.

Costello:    Who does?

abbott:     Absolutely.

Costello:    Well all I'm trying to find out is what's the guys name on
       first base.

abbott:     Oh, no, no, What is on second base.

Costello:    I'm not asking you who's on second.

abbott:     Who's on first

Costello:    That's what I'm trying to find out.

abbott:     Well, don't change the players around.

Costello:    I'm not changing nobody.

abbott:     Now, take it easy.

Costello:    What's the guy's name on first base?

abbott:     What's the guy's name on second base.

Costello:    I'm not asking whos on second.

abbott:     Who's on first

Costello:    I don't know.

abbott:     He's on third.  We're not talking about him.

Costello:    How could I get on third base?

abbott:     You mentioned his name.

Costello:    If I mentioned the third baseman's name, who did I say  is
       playing third?

abbott:     No, Who's playing first

Costello:    Stay offa first, will ya?

abbott:     Well what do you want me to do?

Costello:    Now what's the guy's name on first base?

abbott:     What's on second.

Costello:    I'm not asking ya who's on second.

abbott:     Who's on first

Costello:    I don't know.

abbott:     He's on third.

Costello:    There I go back on third again.

abbott:     Well, I can't change their names.

Costello:    Say, will you please stay on third base.

abbott:     Please.  Now what is it you want to know.

Costello:    What is the fellow's name on third base.

abbott:     What is the fellow's name on second base.

Costello:    I'm not askin' ya who's on second.

abbott:     Who's on first

Costello:    I don't know.

abbott:     THIRD BASE!

Costello:    You got an outfield?

abbott:     Oh, sure.

Costello:    Saint Louis has got a good outfield?

abbott:     Oh, absolutely.

Costello:    The left fielder's name?

abbott:     Why.

Costello:    I don't know, I just thought I'd ask.

abbott:     Well, I just thought I'd tell you.

Costello:    Then tell me who's playing left field.

abbott:     Who's playing first

Costello:    Stay out of the infield!

abbott:     Don't mention any names out here.

Costello:    I want to know what's the fellow's name on left field?

abbott:     What is on second.

Costello:    I'm not askin' ya who's on second.

abbott:     Who is on first

Costello:    I don't know.

abbott:       Third base.

Costello:    And the left fielder's name?

abbott:     Why.

Costello:    Because.

abbott:     Oh he's Center Field.

Costello:     Center field.

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Wait a minute.  You got a pitcher on this team.

abbott:     Wouldn't this be a fine team without a pitcher.

Costello:    I don't know.  Tell me the pitcher's name.

abbott:     Tomorrow.

Costello:    You don't want to tell me today?

abbott:     I'm telling you, man.

Costello:    Then go ahead.

abbott:     Tomorrow.

Costello:    What time?

abbott:     What time what?

Costello:    What time tomorrow are you gonna tell me who's pitching?

abbott:     Now listen, Who is not pitching.  Who is on

Costello:    I'LL BREAK YOU ARM IF YOU SAY "WHO'S ON FIRST!"

abbott:     Then why come up here and ask?

Costello:    I want to know what's the pitcher's name.

abbott:     What's on second.

Costello:    I don't know.

abbott:        THIRD BASE!!

Costello:    You gotta Catcher?

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    The Catcher's name?

abbott:     Today.

Costello:    Today.  And Tomorrow's pitching.

abbott:     Now you've got it.

Costello:    That's all.  Saint Louis has a couple of days on their team.

abbott:     Well I can't help that.

Costello:    You know I'm a good catcher too.

abbott:     I know that.

Costello:    I would like to play for the Saint Louis team.

abbott:     Well I might arrange that.

Costello:    I would like to catch.  Now I'm being a good Catcher,
       tomorrow's pitching on the team, and I'm catching.

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Tomorrow throws the ball and the guy up bunts the ball.

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Now when he bunts the ball me being a good catcher  I
       want  to  throw the guy out a first base, so I pick up the
       ball and throw it to who?

abbott:     Now that's the first thing you've said right.

Costello:    I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!

abbott:     Well, that's all you have to do.

Costello:    is to throw it to first base.

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    Now who's got it?

abbott:     Naturally.

Costello:    Who has it?

abbott:     Naturally.

Costello:    Naturally.

abbott:     Naturally.

Costello:    O.K.

abbott:     Now you've got it.

Costello:    I pick up the ball and I throw it to Naturally.

abbott:     No you don't you throw the ball to first base.

Costello:    Then who gets it?

abbott:     Naturally.

Costello:    O.K.

abbott:     All right.

Costello:    I throw the ball to Naturally.

abbott:     You don't you throw it to Who.

Costello:    Naturally.

abbott:     Well, naturally.  Say it that way.

Costello:    That's what I said.

abbott:     You did not.

Costello:    I said I'd throw the ball to Naturally.

abbott:     You don't.  You throw it to Who.

Costello:    Naturally.

abbott:     Yes.

Costello:    So I throw the ball to first base and Naturally gets it.

abbott:     No.  You throw the ball to first base

Costello:    Then who gets it?

abbott:     Naturally.

Costello:    That's what I'm saying.

abbott:     You're not saying that.

Costello:    I throw the ball to Naturally.

abbott:     You throw it to Who!

Costello:    Naturally.

abbott:     Naturally.  Well say it that way.

Costello:    THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!

abbott:     Now don't get excited.

Costello:    Who's gettin' excited!!  I throw the ball to first base

abbott:     Then Who gets it.

Costello:    HE BETTER GET IT!

abbott:     That's it.  All right now. Take it easy.

Costello:    Hummmmph!

abbott:     Hummmmph!

Costello:    Now I throw the ball to first base,  whoever it is grabs
       the ball, so the guy runs to second.

abbott:     Uh huh.

Costello:    Who  picks up the ball and throws it to what.  What throws
       it to I don't know.  I don't know throws it back to
       tomorrow  a triple play.

abbott:     Yeah.  It could be.

Costello:    Another  guy  gets up and it's a long fly ball to center.
       Why?  I don't know, he's on third, and I don't give a
       damn.

abbott:     What did you say.

Costello:    I said "I don't give a damn."

abbott:     Oh, that's our shortstop!

----the
end