[adaptivetec] Re: embossing question

  • From: "Roberto Gonzalez" <rgonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <adaptivetec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 20:53:06 -0700

LM,

Embossing Excel files can be a mirky thing.  The main problems with doing so is
the inherent multi-column formatting issue of working through embossing onto
40-column braille paper.  And, as I'm aware, there's no direct support for
embossing .xls files from Duxbury.  Without knowing what you are wanting to
emboss, you are likely best to succeed by trying to export the Excel document
to a tab or comma delimited text file.  In this case, Duxbury can at least open
the file.  It's then up to you how to resolve the formatting issues from within
Duxbury largely based on content and personal style.  You'll likely want to
apply certain styles (using the F8 menu) to the text so that formatting can be
applied in blocks of selected text if not all at once.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue.  It's an issue that comes up for folks
now and again and I'm surprised that there isn't a formal way of dealing with
it.  Good luck.

-Roberto