accessible-iOS Re: Voice Dream or Read to Go

  • From: Gordan Radić <razbijaci@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:36:12 +0200

Hi!
To answer everything in one place.
voice Dream is $9.99 and Read2Go is $19.99.
You can purchase separate voices for Voice Dream but, if you are a native English speaker or read books in English, there's one free voice included in the package and It's Acapela Heather. Other voices cost from $0.99 to $2.99 but the good thing is that you can test all the voices in the demo mode and decide which one to purchase. You can have the full version and the demo installed at the same time on your device. You can also use Voice Dream as demo for unlimited time before you purchase it. It's limited to play only about two or three sentences at the time and you need to hit the Play button to read forward but all other functionality is there so you can get to know the app and decide whether to buy it or not. Read2Go doesn't give you that oportunity, it is more like take it or leave it kind of app xD. I thought that Read 2Go also uses Acapela for text to speech so how come Voice Dream has better voices? And no, these apps can't play common recorded audio books in Daisy, m4b or mp3 formats, they're just for reading electronic text books.

S poštovanjem
Gordan Radić

On 15.9.2013. 2:49, Jewel wrote:
I actually use both. I generally use the Read2Go app if I want to read the book
using my refreshable Braille display because once you make the changes in
settings, there is no need to remember how to use the app with your display.
However, because of the better voices and the number of different voices that
can be used, I prefer to use Voice Dream for books I want to listen to. Both
apps have the capability to do both, but I don't like having to remember what
keys to press in Voice Dream and get tired of changing the settings back and
forth in Read2Go and don't like their voices. Voice Dream is the better choice
for audio, especially if you have a hearing impairment and can't understand the
Read2Go voices, but I think Read2Go is better for Braille. It just depends on
what you want.
-Jewel

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2013, at 6:53 PM, Donna <mermaid7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Which one do you recommend to be used for a bookshare membership? Or is there a
different app that you would recommend?

DonnaWith questions, concerns or issues not related to the topics discussed on
list please email the list admin to: beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx, or on skype at